Luang Prabang - Tat Kuang Si


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
February 23rd 2010
Published: March 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

PoolsPoolsPools

These were low down in the cascades
Following our travellers budget moan in the previous blog, there is one sight we definitely recommend going to visit, Tat Kuang Si waterfalls. Instead of taking a shared tuk-tuk to the falls, we opted to hire a motorbike for the 25km journey so we could explore a bit more. Whilst initially apprehensive, Nat soon put her trust in Dan as he mastered the gears before they left the town.

The falls area is a series of cascades and turquoise pools of differing sizes over many different levels and quite a large area. Before we tested the water we decided to see some of the countryside and set off on a 3km walk to a cave and natural spring (we think the walk was more like 5km). The cave was impressive with a deep cavern and Buddha statues placed there many years earlier when the cave was used as a hideout during times of unrest. The natural spring, although pretty, wasn’t as good as the waterfall pools so we headed back in the heat, desperate to cool down in one of the pools.
We had met another couple a few days earlier who had told us of an infinity pool high in the falls which was stunning and secluded. After some searching through the woods, wading through streams and climbing waterfalls we eventually found it. This place was like paradise; the waterfall dropped into a deep pool which gently cascaded over a ledge which you could swim up to and admire the 30 metre drop to the pool below. Only a handful of other people had also found this place and we all enjoyed jumping in and cooling off in our own piece of paradise.

At the foot of the falls is a bear sanctuary for bears which have been rescued from poachers. They all looked happy and content playing with their numerous swings and each other. Poaching is still a problem in this area as many believe (wrongly) the health benefits of bear bile and other bear body parts... weird!

We also enjoyed our first deep fried bannana on the way out of the reserve... definitely worth a try if you get a chance! Crunch on the outside, soft and mushy on the inside...

We spent all day at this site and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. The entry was only 20,000 kip so when compared to some of the sights in Luang Prabang, it wins hands down in terms of value!!

Our time in Laos has come to an end and we leave with some great memories of a lovely country with beautiful river scenery, long bus rides and sore bums, and nice people whose lack of hassling, scamming (except the border guards) or aggressive approach towards tourists is a breath of fresh air in Asia. Bring on the communists of Vietnam...



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

CascadeCascade
Cascade

Climbing the fall to find the infinity pool we had heard about...
Infinity PoolInfinity Pool
Infinity Pool

Waterfall into the pool
Infinity PoolInfinity Pool
Infinity Pool

Little man, big waterfall
Infinity PoolInfinity Pool
Infinity Pool

Dan 'bombing'
Infinity PoolInfinity Pool
Infinity Pool

This should cause a big splash!!
BuddhaBuddha
Buddha

Deep in the cave are these Buddha statues...pitch black without the torch
BearsBears
Bears

Having fun
VillageVillage
Village

No running water but satallite TV!


4th March 2010

Bombing
As if the place hasn't seen its fair share of bombs dropped - Then along comes a Senior!

Tot: 0.464s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 77; dbt: 0.3721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb