Small hamlets.


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
August 5th 2008
Published: August 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

KidsKidsKids

seen during my cycle trip of the Vang Vieng Loop
Luang Prabang, 20-03-2008. Three near misses with local trucks, I gave up counting the number of broken down busses and trucks along side the road, small little hamlets glued to the mountainous karst terrain, the occasional patch of rice paddies and small piglets coming out of nowhere trying to cross the road - if they become roadkills the livelyhood of a whole family will be gone in the blink of an eye!!! From Vang Vieng the road slowly winds its way up surrounded by stunningly beautifull mountains, never mind the 257 km. trip took well over 7 hours, and then back down again to Luang Prabang. The local chicken bus that I share with 40 other farangs, the bus driver and his assistant, probably never once got faster than 40 km. per hour. Not that I could be sure, the speedometer wouldn't go beyond 25 km. per hour. The southern bus terminal of Luang Prabang being the final destination, was awaited by dozens of local hotel touts. Waiting for their bulky backpacks Lonely Planet travel guide in hands, the farangs stood around like chickens without heads trying hard to ignore the hotel touts and anxious TUK TUK drivers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

woman with childwoman with child
woman with child

during a break while traveling from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang
The loop of...The loop of...
The loop of...

Vang Vieng


Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 71; dbt: 0.221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb