Vientaine to Khong Island


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Si Phan Don
January 20th 2006
Published: January 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Vientaine Arts CentreVientaine Arts CentreVientaine Arts Centre

A truly magnificent building, from the outside at least. The doors were locked so we couldn't see inside. Across the street from the National Museum.
Up at 03h30 to pack and be at the airport for 5 for our flight to Pakse. Air Lao plane is full, mostly tourists. At Pakse, we are met by our local guide and driver in a nine seat Kia van. A little overboard, methinks. We haven't that much luggage. Nonetheless, it is quiet and comfortable over the potholes.

We take a car ferry, pushed across the Mekong by a black smoke belching metal hulled boat. We then head south along route 13 to our lodgings on Khong Island.

At Champasak, we again cross the Mekong to visit Wat Phou. This temple complex was built between the 6th and 8th century, before Ankor Wat. Originally a Hindu temple, it was transformed to a Buddist temple by a later king.

The ruins of temples, shrines and a sacrificial stone in the shape of a crocodile are quite well preserved. Some of the site has been reconstructed for stabilization reasons and it is a work in progress. It has been declared a UNESCO heritage site so it's integrety is assured. The small museum at the site displays some nice statuary that has been found in the area. Well worth the
Ferry Terminal Ferry Terminal Ferry Terminal

Just a couple of planks on the river bank.
visit.

I notice that the Buddist temples in the south of the country have many Hindu influences, especially in the use of bright colours and images of supernatural entities.

The ferry back across the river consists of 3 mis-matched metal and wooden hulls with cracked planking laid across them to support the weight of a variety of vehicules. It carries about 5 cars at a time.

Back to route 13 to continue south. The temperature continues to rise. We get our first look at our resort across the Mekong on Khong Island.



We leave our van behind and cross the water by long-tailed boat driven by a lad of about 13 and his younger brother as helmsman. These boats are up to 30 feet long and 3 feet wide. Kind of tippy if you shift your weight too quickly. They are powered by garden tiller motors or sometimes something larger. A long driveshaft extends another 15 feet from the stern. It is ideal for travelling shallow waters and going over submerged logs.

The local fishermen get about in dugout boats of the same shape. Some are powered by small engines. When fully loaded
 Wat Phou Snakehead Wat Phou Snakehead Wat Phou Snakehead

Representations of snakes heads are always odd numbered. Superstition I guess.
with 3 people, the water is only about an inch from the gunnels.
The Mekong has changed its colours from a muddy brown to a milky green and is a few degrees warmer. Just enough to be refreshing.

Our resort, the Villa Muangkhong, is one of about 5 similar establishments fronting the river. Ours is not the most posh, but comfortable. Yes, Curtis, this room is quite small. We have supper here but must compete for service with a large group of Thai tourists. A dozen Kiwi's sitting behind us are noisy to start but quiet down when they start to simmer for lack of service also.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

 Wat Phou Windows Wat Phou Windows
Wat Phou Windows

Entrance to a prayer gallery. The columns in the widows allow some light and air circulation.
 Wat Phou Dragon Wat Phou Dragon
Wat Phou Dragon

Looks like a hand to me.
 Wat Phou Promenade Wat Phou Promenade
Wat Phou Promenade

The central walkway was for the king and high ranking official. Claudette and our guide.
 Wat Phou Pools Wat Phou Pools
Wat Phou Pools

On either side of the central walkway were seperate walkways for men and women of the common sort. The pools were used in the dry season for irrigation. Over a million people are believed to have lived in this are at the time.
 Wat Phou Sirens Wat Phou Sirens
Wat Phou Sirens

Detail of stone carving above a doorway.
 Wat Phou Lintal Wat Phou Lintal
Wat Phou Lintal

Detail of stone carving above a doorway.
 Wat Phou Sacraficial Stone Wat Phou Sacraficial Stone
Wat Phou Sacraficial Stone

IN the shape of a crocadile, each year a child would be sacraficed to the Hindu gods. The blood would be collected for further rites.
 Champasak Ferry Landing Champasak Ferry Landing
Champasak Ferry Landing

Ferry landing and shopping centre on the riverbank.


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb