Don Det - 4000 Islands


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Don Det
April 4th 2012
Published: May 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We set off from Phnom Penh (Cambodia) to our 3rd country Laos. After a very long bus journey (again!) we arrived at the border and found it really strange that there was a pricing list for different visas, turns out the English are one of the expensive ones. Plus we had to pay a $2 bribe to the Cambodian police to leave the country then a $2 bribe to enter Laos. We felt like there were alot of bribes!

Our first impressions of Laos was good apart from the roads, when we say roads they dont have tarmac on most of them, they consist of alot of sand and random rocks - makes a hell of a ride!

We stayed on the Island Don Det which is in the 4000 islands in the Mekong River near the Cambodian border, while we where here something mysterious happened and Rachel started getting grey hairs!! For Rachels 25th birthday we kayaked along the Mekong River. This was a fun day filled with lots of rapids and capsizing (birthday cookies were nearly lost in the river=not a happy Rachel!). We saw more Irrawady dolphins and the largest waterfall in South East Asia, beautiful scenery, but alot of hard work! Quite glad Rachel was there to be the muscles.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.072s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb