Cambodia Continued...


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
March 31st 2012
Published: April 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Next stop on our Cambodia trip was Kratie, a small village along side the Mekong River. It was so very different from Siem Reap with just a few hotel and restaurants to choose from. While here we hired bicycles and cycled through the village and on the island Koh Trong. The journey across the water was a funny one, with a small "ferry" or tiny wooden boat, with about 15 people, our 2 push bikes and 4 motorbikes... we were so glad to make it safely to the other side, especially after the engine cut out!! The people here were so friendly with the children shouting hello to us. We felt a bit like we were in Liverpool because of all the women walking around in their pyjamas... dont think for the same reason as scousers though!

We also went to see the Irrawady dolphins here, we saw a few and had hopeless attempts at trying to photograph them!

We visited the capitol Phnom Penh and learnt a lot more about the recent history of Cambodia by visiting the Tuol Sleng Museum (a school which was turned into a prison in the 1970's and is now a memorial museum) and visiting the Killing Fields, Choeng Ek. Both were difficult but informative places to visit hearing the stories of the Khmer Rouge and what they did to the Cambodian people.

We visited Sihanoukville for a few days and caught up with some of the friends we've met along the way! We had a chilled time, relaxing on secluded islands (Koh Rong), diving, and generally having a laugh.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb