January 17: Saori-ori


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Wakayama
January 23rd 2008
Published: January 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

yarn!yarn!yarn!

There were so many colors it was really hard to choose!
Japanese Vocabulary
chi-chai: slang for little or tiny
yaki-niku: literally grilled beef, but it’s a dinner where everyone sits around a grill and grills their own meat and veggies and dips them in a sauce. It usually includes onions, cabbage, rice and beef.
nama biiru: literally raw beer, but refers to any draft beer on tap usually (like asahi, Sapporo, and kirin)
dai saizu: large size

For our most recent family dinner we made scarves with Tanabe Sensei! She lives at the top of a hill in Momoyama and has a little cabin for scarf making classes. I guess it’s a special technique called saori-ori using a Japanese loom. It’s really really easy to do though and Tanabe Sensei had a TON of different yarns to choose from. It took about 2 hours and you pay by the hour and then for the weight of the yarn that you used. Mine was the shortest…which meant it was the cheapest- wuh-wuuuuuuuuuh!

Afterwards we went to a yaki-niku restaurant where we ate lots of my favorite animal, beef, and Zach and Josh had a couple of nama biiru, dai saizu. In the cab ride home we all smelled like grilled beef…luckily we had a really nice cab driver! He actually thanked us for filled the car with grilled beef smell…




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

zach at the loomzach at the loom
zach at the loom

Here is Zach working the saori loom- it's a really convenient and easy way to make things!
the beginning of a scarf...the beginning of a scarf...
the beginning of a scarf...

Here is a shot of my loom and how the loom is sort of set up...
JoshJosh
Josh

haha....Josh was a little too tall for the loom, but still managed to work it! It's make for Japanese people probably well below Josh's 6 feet!
LaraLara
Lara

the veteran of the group!
the results...the results...
the results...

Zach and his scarf
JoshJosh
Josh

a whole wall of the house is dedicated just to different yarns of all colors, textures and thickness.
Me...Me...
Me...

and my chichai (but colorful!) scarf
DAI- SAIZU!DAI- SAIZU!
DAI- SAIZU!

Zach, Josh and their two friends...biiru, dai-saizu!


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb