The Big Adventure


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Ueno
September 29th 2013
Published: October 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So we are on our final night in Japan and we both absolutely loved it here.

Today we had our most Japanese day of all. We started off visiting the Sumo Stadium and by luck there was a tournamont on for the Meiji Jinto Shrine with all the big names, yokazuna was competing with another 20 or so sumo wrestlers.

It was fascinating to watch all the ceremonies and traditions. There was a minor tournament and the main even. The hours passed from 12.00 until at 4pm the champion was decided. Very exciting!! There was a little comedy sketch between tournaments also, brilliant!

Then we visited Akibahara to see 2 shrines and visit a stand in Sushi restaurant. I still can't get over the chewiness of raw fish, but mark dived right in. I had a tuna roll and some lovely avocado ones. Mark got chatting to the guy next to him who suggested sardines lightly toasted with a blow torch! All finished off with a Green tea.

We started with 2 days in Tokyo, seeing Tokyo tower, Shinjuku crossing, harijuku, countless shrines and temples and some manga shops. Then onto Kyoto on the overnight bus.

We had a full day visiting the Golden Pavilion and Rock temple, then trying sushi and tempura - Lovely!On the second day in Kyoto we visited Gion, and climbed to a hill temple devoted to the Japanese cupid. We walked in complete pitch black under the shrine, then trod the line of the love rocks, guess we're sorted! In the evening we went to a tea ceremony. Everything was very precise, and delicate. A joy to see. We walked back through Gion at night seeing all the lights from the local Ryokans and Inns.

We attempted to get to Hiroshima, but could not find transport to suit so off to Hakone we went. We stayed in a fairly dingy Ryoken, but it had a beautiful natural hot spring bath. It was a brilliant way to finish a busy day by steaming all our troubles away. We spent a very rainy day sight seeing - or not seeing, so we may have to return to see mt Fuji, we passed by it I suppose!

Back up to Tokyo for a few days, where I treated myself to a Casio watch and Mark got some headphones in Electric City. I have never seen anything like it! I can see why you loved it here Chris Carter!

The lasting impression we both have of Japan is absolute good manners mixed with hard work and great efficiency, giving an easy going lifestyle making everything possible. Hopefully we can make it back on a bigger budget.

Biggest regret - not buying a JR pass before arriving, as we could have seen more of this amazing country.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb