Greetings from Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Ueno
December 29th 2009
Published: December 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi all!

Firstly, I would like to point out that Japan is well and truly nuts - fabulous but very definately nuts!
Arrived on time in Tokyo yesterday and caught the very civilised Skyliner train into the city. Investigated our first vending machines during the exact 51 minute journey and discovered that Java Tea both looks and tastes of pee with Pocari Sweat (made famous by Clarkson) only slightly better and useful solely for removing the taste of Java Tea!

From the window, Mark spotted his first bird hiding amid the numerous paddy fields - a disappointing egret - while I was engrossed and envious of the beautifully kept vegetable patches and orange trees.

Our ryokan hotel is very quiet and calming as has been most of the Japan we have seen so far. We have a Japanese style room with tatami mats and futons but I'm having a small problem with the chairs. Actually, chair is too strong a word for them really as they have no legs! I'm finding my legs are no longer my own within 2 minutes of sitting down. The futon on the other hand is great and the rice filled pillow (yes you heard correct) is amazingly good in a low tech memory foam kind of way.
In fact, all the facilities are low here - low tables, low sinks and low showers. We do have a short but very deep cedar bath tub in our room so will be making use of that tomorrow for a quick swim - just wish I'd brought some bubble bath! The room slippers are quite fun too - Mark looks a dreamboat in his! And there's an extra special red pair in the loo!

We had our first Japanese food encounter last night in a great little place straight out of Bladerunner with the bowls all rattling when the subway train went past overhead. We both had a big bowl of udon noodles with veg, fried eggs, pork and what we think was crab sticks. I also had some prawn tempura while Mark had some beef and mushroom rice. Took a little while to get our fingers around the chopsticks but managed not to resort to asking for a fork. We were the first diners and it was only after we'd finished that it got busier and we found out exactly how we should have eaten it. Tomorrow, more slurping and less worry!
On the stroll home, even for an early Monday night, the streets were full of suited business men who already seemed two beers to the wind and destined for a night in a capsule hotel.

Very impressed with ourselves as managed to ask for our room key in Japanese and actually got the right number. Watched a programme called Doors back in our room which is somewhat like Takashi's Castle and seems to be on continually. One game involved two contestants being suspended 40 foot above the studio and attempting to drop a small metal ball through a target on the floor. You wouldn't believe how worked up they got - tears and everything! Mark is also enjoying watching the pig-tailed beauties in pink tracksuits bounce over the obstacle courses while I am enjoying seeing them all fail obismally and land in the water.
Tried out the sweets from the 7/11 shop round the corner. Not too fussed with the weird kit kat with, we think, milky coffee flavouring or the what have turned out to be licorice chocolate boiled sweets but the chocs filled with Japanese whiskey were very nice indeed!

Just had breakfast of rice and salmon with brocolli all washed down with brazil strength coffee. We're going to need it as we have a full day exploring in Tokyo lined up for today- so many shops, so little time!

Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting instalment!
Love Lisa & Mark xxx
P.S. And before you all say it, yes I do talk mainly about food - what can I say, I'm a girl who knows what she likes!


Advertisement



31st December 2009

sounds fab!
Well it sounds like you are getting to grips with things. Good oh on getting the sweeties from the shop early on, other countries sweeties are always important to taste! Was the kit kat one of these: http://tiny.cc/54LOn I must say there seemed to be very little in the way of booze here, an no cocktails at all! Buck up your ideas! :O) Anyhooo looking forward to the next instalment.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb