Day 5 - Samurai and Ninja Museum and Shibuya Crossing


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Ueno
April 11th 2024
Published: April 11th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Later start today as we just have tickets for the Samurai and Ninja Museum in Asakusa which is only a 12 minute bus ride away. We were probably a bit too relaxed as we were late so had to join a later group. The guide, Akira, took us on a tour of the small museum and was very entertaining and informative, giving us a brief history of Japan during this period of time. We were given plastic star knives and had a few opportunities to practice before a competition. We were then able to dress up as samurais which was fun.

We then explored the Asakusa area a bit and spent quite a bit of time at a discount variety chain store called Don Quijote(not Quixote) and bought quite a bit. Then it already past 2pm so we sat down for lunch at a recommended place, Beef and Ramen. It was delicious and just what we needed. The Senso-ji temple was nearby but we decided to go to the Shibuya crossing instead.

We took brother Michael's recommendation to view it from Mag's Park Rooftop cafe in the Magnet building. I think it originally was just a cafe but then they realised they'd make more money selling access to their balcony. It cost $15 to enter which includes a drink if your choice (non-alcoholic). We hung around there for a while taking photos and videos. Oscar seemed quite tired today and started to become more lively at this late stage of the day.

It was now 16:45 so I told the others to have a look around Shibuya, while I looked for the Shibuya JR ticket office to redeem our vouchers for our Shinkansen Fast trains from Fuji to Kyoto then onto Hiroshima. I lined up for about 20 minutes but as explained to me, I just had to use these machines that were around the corner. Very simple, just a matter of scanning the QR codes on my confirmation emails. Met the others back near the Magnet building, where Daisy was buying a small amount of food to take back to our hotel.

Got back to the hotel early at 18:30 which was good, because it gave us time to re-pack. Plan was to take just one big bag and forward our other two big bags onto Kyoto. This is a common service in Japan and is a great idea at just $50 per bag. We will be travelling in the Fuji area for a couple of days and won't reach Kyoto until 14th April. The bags will be picked up tomorrow and delivered to Kyoto the next day on the 13th April, the day before we get there. We really didn't have enough time in Tokyo, to see what we had planned to see, so we'll need another visit some time, but tomorrow we head to Lake Kawaguchiko at the foot of Mt Fuji for some nature, after four days in the sprawling metropolis.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb