Sushi and temples


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shinjuku
August 7th 2013
Published: August 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The BusThe BusThe Bus

This thing was awesome.
Today was our first full day in Tokyo. The itinerary was still a mystery to me and Ronn, so we weren't really sure what to expect. With Craig and Teresa planning things out, it could have been anything. Turns out the first order of the day was to go to a cooking class. First off, thank God it was cooler than yesterday, but Craig and Teresa also booked a huge bus with the best air conditioning on the planet to get us to our destination. So we met with the cooking sensei and his assistant for our training. He made tempura shrimp for us and we got to try a piece or two, but then we all got some hands-on training with making sushi. Take a look at the photos. The sensei said my job was a five star effort, so I may be quitting my current job and moving to Tokyo to make sushi. (Just kidding, Mike and John.) After I finished making my sushi, I tried selling it back to the sensei for 2000 yen, but they weren't buying it. Anyway, it was a blast.

Next we took the bus to Asakusa Temple. School is out right now
My best friend everMy best friend everMy best friend ever

The cooling vent - paradise.
in Japan, so there were tons of rugrats and crumbsnatchers running around with their parents, incense burning and, of course, humidity to make things so much better. When you are there you can pay 100 yen to get your fortune. You basically shake a container until a stick comes out with a number on it, and you grab a fortune from the drawer with the corresponding number. My fortune sucked. It said "Bad Fortune" right on it. It had some crazy crap about finding a hermit on a mountain or something and said I will die with an empty heart. Nice! Anyway, you tie it up on some apparatus and it will give you a chance to change your fortune. I tied it up and got out of dodge.

We hit the Kitchen District (a whole big section of nothing but kitchen appliances and knives,, etc) and then also went to Akihabara, with a district that has more than 500 electronic/gaming/manga stores in a small area. TONS of people out, and that is a place to see. Lots of craziness.

Ended the day at a dinner. It was a 5 or 6 course meal. I took some photos,
Sensei teachingSensei teachingSensei teaching

Sushi learnin' time.
check it out. Definitely not the kind of stuff you get in Sacramento. It was all served traditionally. Really good stuff. I even ate the sea urchin, even though I can't stand the taste of them. Yuck! But if Craig and Teresa are treating, I won't let the food go to waste.

Tomorrow we head to the famous fish market. We have to be downstairs and completely checked out by 5:00 AM. Right after the fish market we take the Shinkansen bullet train to Kyoto. Hope it's cooler there! Anyway, got to roll, need some sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

My sushiMy sushi
My sushi

Wanna buy it for 2000 yen?
Having a laughHaving a laugh
Having a laugh

You know how in martial arts movies whenever the main villain laughed they would throw their head way back? Yup, we did it too.
DinnerDinner
Dinner

Here is the full crew on this trip.


9th August 2013

Blog
Hello son, love the blog, the pictures of Nihon. The Japanese people love their food, technology, etc., and are proud people as they preserve their culture. Look forward to your next post!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb