Go Go Swarrows!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shibuya
April 13th 2017
Published: April 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

On the shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo today. This train is even faster than the Thunderbird from Kanazawa. Yet still not the fastest. The Japan Rail Pass doesn't allow for using the Nozomi and I can only imagine the standard and speed of those premium trains. The Hikari is going seriously fast! 450kms in 2 hours 40 minutes to Tokyo, with half a dozen stops along the way.

And what a way to travel! We collected an array of delicious lunch items from the subterranean department store at Kyoto Station and decide to wing it in the unreserved carraige for our last Shinkansen of the trip. I instruct Milla to weave in between the boarding passengers and get us some good seats together. In her determination she pushes in front of the orderly queue as soon as the door opens. Luckily she's cute, as this behaviour is a definite no-no.

As is to be expected in a country of 127,300,000 people (plus tourists), we run into Reuben from Deakin's soccer team, and his family, while we wait for our shinkansen. Of all the platforms, in all the stations, in all the Japanese cities...

We had time to check out the walled park/garden beside our apartment building before we checked out of Kyoto. A cute little formal garden with ponds, bridges, cherry blossoms and traditional teahouse buildings. Strolling around these gardens is very relaxing and a welcomed oasis from the busy streets.

I've been trying to put my finger on what appeals to me about Japanese style. A line describing the tea ceremony in the performance guide at the Gion Corner show summed it up I think. "They intuitively seek the beauty of austere simplicity". The smart simplicity of their homes, the normcore fashion style of the everyman on the street and the order and perfection of their transport and infrastructure. Things are very ordered and conformist though. Is that a good thing? I dont know.

You need a Bachelor of Garbology to understand the garbage disposal system here. We have general waste and recyclables. Here you have:
Cans and bottles - which I understand

Recyclable - which seems to be plastics, paper and cardboards

Burnables - which seams to be food waste and chopsticks.

But isn't paper burnable? And what do you do if you get food waste on your recyclables? I think you're supposed to rinse off your rubbish before you put it in one of the THREE bins in your kitchen.

The Airbnb had strict instructions not to empty any garbage from the apartment into the buildings dumpsters, but to instead contact the Airbnb host and they'll come and ensure the overflowing bins are emptied correctly. I'm not sure what the punishment is for incorrectly disposing of your waste, but it sounds like it could be quite serious and possibly painful.

Our next Airbnb host requests that we don't dispose of our key-access instructions in the apartments bins because his neighbours often "sort through the garbage to ensure it is accurately allocated" and he doesn't won't his neighbours getting access to his keylock codes etc.

And for a country so festidious about it's waste management (which I think is a good thing - once you understand it) they sure are keen on producing waste through over packaging things. They put so much extra plastic with a simple supermarket purchase. If they didn't manage their garbage so well, the world would be swimming in even more plastic waste.

We bought Sushi, thinly sliced cold beef and a salad from the upmarket Isetan gastronome supermarket for lunch and we get multiple plastic bags, chopsticks wrapped in plastic, moist towelettes (i hate those two words combined) wrapped in plastic, plastic coated cold packs (great idea though) and the plastic and styrofoam containers holding your meals. I bought a box of standard green tea bags and the lady gift wrapped them. I think it's all to do with being polite and it's very charming - but sooo much packaging!

The train ride goes faster than expected and we are approaching Shinigawa station in Tokyo before we know it. Milla gets a bit restless during the two and a half hour train ride, but is generally well behaved. Drip feeding her Crunky bites seems to keep her at bay. Deaks reads his book on Julies' kindle and necks a bottle of grape fanta - his beverage of choice.

Learnt a lesson in Kanazawa and always download a copy of airbnb directions to an offline source. The train changeover and directions to the apartment aren't simple but are seamless. A smaller apartment above a Lawson Station conveviene store - perfect!

We are in Yoyogi - high density but much quieter than Shinjuku. The kids were a bit put off Tokyo by the craziness of Shinjuku and weren't keen on coming back. Deaks regularly said "I like this place better than Tokyo" while we were in Kanazawa and Kyoto. Shinjuku as full-on a sTokyo gets and this area is much calmer.

It's also walking distance (2.2kms) to Meiji Jingu Stadium for our Yakult Swallows game tonight. With our pocket wi-fi in tow (such a great idea) we trust our destinies to google maps. It all goes smoothly, despite a construction site replacing a prk near the stadium. It looks like construction in prep for the Olympics. The baseball stadium is close to the National Stadium and this whole area looks perfect for an Olympic village. In fact Tokyo seems perfect for an Olympics.

We pick up some Swallows caps and an umbrella for Milla and take our seats. The bleachers are packed with Swallows fanatics in rightfield and the visiting Dragon fanatics in leftfield. The rest of the stadium is less than half full at first pitch but during the later half of the game, the first baseline stands are close to capacity. They don't care for the first few innings apparently. Or perhaps it's hard for the salarymen to get to a 6pm start.

The fanatics in the cheap seats appear to be having all the fun. Beating drums, singing and playing brass instruments whenever their teams are batting. The rest of the crowd is virtually silent. Beer fairies from a multitude of beer companies buzz around the stands with fans of 1,000 yen notes between their fingers. ll the big brands are represented - Asahi, Kirin, Saporra - with various beer types each. It's not just XXXX gold in this stadium.

The Dragons take an early lead with a 2 run homer in the 2nd. This sends the left field crowd into hysterics. I think both teams are struggling in the league and both hope to get an ellusive win tonight.

When the Swallows score a run, out come the umbrellas and the silent majority join in the singing. It's a cold night and I'm underdressed. The kids don't seem to care and they order Baskin and Robbins from the mobile B&R lady.

It's 2-2 in the bottom of the 9th. 2 out and a runner on 3rd - courtesy of a bunt by the apparent star of the swallows - 2nd baseman Yamada. With the hitless shortstop in the box, it's not looking good. Never fear, a clutch line drive to leftfield does the trick and the swallows crew leave happy.

A chilly 2.4 kms to bed for a well earned rest.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.414s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb