Shibuya Food


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shibuya
April 14th 2024
Published: April 19th 2024
Edit Blog Post

In Tokyo, sushi on a budget normally means skipping the uni and fatty tuna rolls and sticking to imported salmon and dashimaki tamago(Japanese omelette) nigiri. This isn’t the case at Sushi Tokyo Ten Shibuya, where you can drop into the Shibuya Stream sushi restaurant for a generous omakase lunch for ¥4,400 (weekdays only) and dinner for ¥8,800.
A peaceful oasis in the middle of bustling Shibuya, this sleek counter-style sushi restaurant will leave you feeling pampered, calm and most importantly, satisfied by the end of your lunch break. The restaurant doesn’t have any menus, but you’re in good hands as the chef behind the counter swiftly and seamlessly forms an array of perfectly shaped sushi, including opulent favourites like chutoro (medium fatty tuna) and a mini ikura-don (salmon eggs over rice).
Looking for an omakase sushi meal that won’t break the bank? Edo-style sushi specialist Sushi Tokyo Ten, located in the super central Shibuya Stream complex, has one of the best deals in town. Don’t be put off by its classy décor; dinner omakase is just ¥8,800 a person and you’ll be treated to more than your fair share of seasonal fish plus plenty of additional items including side dishes and miso soup. The lunch set is an even bigger steal, coming in at just ¥4,400 (weekdays only).

While yakiniku (grilled meat) restaurants mostly cater to group dining, the multi-branch Yakiniku Like chain offers solo-diner grills with great success. Today, it has restaurants across Tokyo, including Shinbashi, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Akihabara and Ueno; most outlets also offer a few tables for two.

The menu is highly customisable: choose your cut of beef (or that one pork option) and the quantity, with prices starting from just ¥220 per 50g. Add another ¥200 for a bowl of rice (refillable between 11am to 5pm), soup and kimchi. The set meals are even more affordable; the cheapest of which is only ¥580 for 100g of meat plus the aforementioned accompaniments.

This hidden gem of a restaurant (Torikatsu) looks like it’s stuck in the ’70s, from its location in a forgotten back-alley building and old-school interior to its surprisingly low prices. It specialises in cutlets – meat and vegetables breaded with panko and deep-fried.

The popular set meal, which comes with a chicken cutlet, ham cutlet and croquette plus rice, miso soup and shredded cabbage, is only ¥800 – it’s arguably the best-value meal in central Shibuya...

With the help of our hotel staff, we found Pichiten, a great local sushi and tempura place. We were the only tourists there!! And the food was outstanding!!!

An outpost of the popular sky-high bar on the rooftop of Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, Tokyo’s Cé La Vi may not be as vertigo-inducing as its Southeast Asian counterpart, but it still commands a good view of the iconic Shibuya Scramble. This multitalented venue covers two floors on the rooftop of Shibuya Fukuras, and features a restaurant, rooftop bar and club.

On the 17th floor, you’ll find the café-bar Bao by Cé La Vi, as well as the alfresco Cé La Vi Club Lounge complete with a DJ station. The Cé La Vi Restaurant & Sky Bar on the 18th floor has a more exclusive setting, offering a luxurious food menu with a side of Shibuya skyline views. Both floors feature outdoor seating with cosy lounges, making them the perfect hangout during the
The Shibuya Sky observation deck has become one of the hottest attractions in Tokyo since it opened on the rooftop of Shibuya Scramble Square. This open-air observation deck boasts 360-degree views of the city from a jaw-dropping 230 metres above ground, and you can see all of Tokyo’s major landmarks including Tokyo Tower, Tokyo Skytree and even Mt Fuji on a clear day. What's more, the observation deck boasts a stunning rooftop bar that's gearing up to reopen just in time for Golden Week.
All in all, Shibuya has much to offer, with its own version of craziness, upscale shopping, throngs of people, and silliness. Nearby, Omotesando offers great shopping and people watching. It was a great finish to two weeks in Japan.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb