The final entry and an end of year review.


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Asakusa
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well here it is, the final installment of our travelblog. I know it is a sad and historic moment so fell free to have moment to compose yourself before reading on.

We are now in Tokyo bracing ourselves for the 13hour flight home tomorrow after spending a couple of days in the beautiful mountainous area of Nikko.

We spent a day there exploring a few more temples as we felt that we haven't seen enough already! Although Tosho-Gu did have the famous carvings of the three monkeys (See no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil).
These were all very nice and full of the usual Japanese tourists. I won't bore you will all the details.
We also walked down to an area called Gamman-Ga-Fuchi Abyss, which isn't as scary as it sounds. In fact it is home to a collection of stone Buddha carvings, all wearing red hats and bibs - the significance we are not sure of.

After that it was a delicious Yakitori lunch (skewed grilled Chicken) which was delicious.
For dinner that night we had arranged to eat at where we were staying. And how glad we were.
I could go into a lot of detail and explain how fantastic it was but I would not be able to do it justice, so I have but a picture on instead.

The next morning we headed back to Tokyo and explored the Shinbuyu district - lights, noise and dangerous umbrellas. Today has been spent laying around in various parks making the most of doing nothing and not feeling guilty for it - it will be along time before we can do that again.

The end of year review:

We have spent a lot of time recently reminishing about the places we have been and things we have seen and thought that it would be a fitting end to our blog to share them with you. This has led to much hard thinking and tough decision making. Here goes:

Favourite country?
JB - Cambodia
JG - Cambodia

Favourite city?
JB - Phom Phen or Melbourne
JG - Melbourne

Favourite beach?
JB - Ko Phi Phi
JG - Ko Phi Phi

Favourite food?
JB - Thai
JG - Thai

Favourite restuarant?
JB - Garlic on Ko Phi Phi or Little place in Siem Reap
JG - Little place in Siem Reap

Wierdest dish served?
JB - Muesli with orange juice and yoghurt poured over it.
JG - Prawn stir fried rice served in a pineapple.

Favourite dish?
JB - Panang curry
JG - Laksi in Cambodia

Favourite journey?
JB - 2 day boat trip into Laos.
JG - 2 day boat trip into Laos.

Least favourite journey?
JB - Luang Prabang to Vientianne.
JG - Siem Reap to Bangkok.

Favourite natural wonder?
JB - Kings Canyon
JG - The Olgas

One thing you could not have survived without?
JB - iPod
JG - My trusty flip flops
(Although, sadly, the internet rates up there very high for both of us- modern technology hey)

Thing missed most from home (not including family and friends of course!)?
JB - Marmite and Cheese and onion pasties.
JG - Warm beer, the Sunday Times and the football.

How would you describe your year in 3 words?
JB - Eye-opening, fun and hot
JG - Thought-provoking, interesting and fun.

One quote to sum up the year (actually this is Jill's quote, but I couldn't have summed it up better!):

The grass is not always greener, it's just a different shade!

Finally, thanks for reading our blog we hope that you have enjoyed it. We, well I, have enjoyed writing it and your comments and messages have made us laugh (which has caused a few embarassing moments while in internet cafes).

See you all very soon, until next time - Look after yourselves, and each other.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



5th July 2007

I'm wiping away a tear...
Oh guys, the maginficent voyage has come to an end. Hope the flight back wasn't too bad. At least u could do some more 'reminishing' on the plane! You should really check your work for spelling mistakes! Bad teacher Bob. If only I had a red pen... X
5th July 2007

Homeward Bound
I can't believe your trip is over. I am soooo looking forward to seeing you again even if I have to wait til the end of august. Have a good trip home. Love ya.
7th July 2007

Well it has been an amazing read for us all and makes me very jealous. Glad you both had a great time but also glad you are returning to almighty Blighty! Will be great to see you both and to catch up. I must say Jugs, you've lost weight! I think that will need to be addressed very soon. I believe we once ate a rather large Chilli Burger in the Maldon? Do you care to join me!! Love the last bit where you both gave you best parts to the trip. Very good idea. Willy the wasp! He has served his time like a true SAS warrior! See you both very soon!

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb