Japan - Nikko


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tochigi
November 1st 2012
Published: November 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived into Nikko from Tokyo on a Shinkansen (bullet train) and immediately noted the change in temperature to the city. We took a short walk up the hill to the other station where the info office and bus ticket office is (a place to get maps and an idea of what to do). We dropped our bags off at the nikko park lodge (number 2) which we first of all couldn't find but it was actually directly opposite the main station entrance. This is directly related to the other Nikko Park Lodge hostel in the mountains where the owner will do a free shuttle pick up and drop off to in morning and evening.

They were very accommodating here and gave us maps and directions to the shrine area of Nikko. Instead of paying for the bus we walked up the hill - keep going straight until you reach the Sacred Bridge. The view here was lovely - seeing the water come down the lake from the mountains. You can pay to walk across the bridge but we didn't see the need. Cross the strethe just after the sacred bridge and you enter Nikko shrine/temple.

Once inside the shrine aryou're paid for a ticket which allowed us to enter 6 shrines. Apparently there is a world heritage ticket that can be purchased from Tokyo and includes train to Nikko and entrance into the shrines and possibly the bus but as we had JR passes we didn't do this so not sure whether cheaper or not.

The shrines were lovely and had lots of different things to see. You only need half a day to appreciate this area, however some of it was being renovated at time of visit.

The other main attraction in Nikko is the lakes and hiking areas. Unfortunately we were unable to do this part as we did not have enough time. You need a full day for this area as it can only be reached by bus from the main bus station in the village. The bus takes approx 1.5 hours to get there and sometimes longer apparently and costs around £25 each (not cheap). We were very disappointed that we didn't get to see this part as the pictures alone look stunning.

Nikko overall was a great place to visit, very tranquil and a good two days worth of sites to see. It was made all the better by the the lodge hostel in the mountains. We did our first attempt at staying in a dorm so was a bit apprehensive but was pleasantly surprised that the hostel was clean, had a lovely log fire in the lounge area and the food was great (if a bit pricey), however the wine was cheap which made up for the expensive food. The shower was a bit strange, communal with a glass window to the outside. The staff were very nice and helpful.

Would definitely recommend a stay in Nikko and at the lodge - they do offer private rooms as well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb