Arrival in India 25th October 2012


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
October 26th 2012
Published: October 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Delhi by plane at 4:30am local time and after collecting our bags made what we thought a simple walk outside to the metro station to get a train to New Delhi station in Parharganj where all the budget hotels are located. We found that the metro was closed for reconstruction (typical!!) we therefore got in a cab and asked to go to Parharhganj to a specific hotel. After driving for some time the taxi man pulled over to ask directions to the hotel. After several attempts to get directions he instead took us to a tourist centre where they could help (con number 1). Once there we asked for directions and instead the man called the hotel and then said there was no availability here due to very big festival in India. (con number 2 - we had already checkour on line before getting to India and there were plenty of rooms available). he then said there was nothing much to see in Delhi so why didn't we book a tour to other parts if india. We declined as we wanted to arrange our own train/bus. He instead booked us a hotel and told the taxi man directions. By this time we had been in Delhi 2 hours, had been on a 5 hour flight to get here from Jordan, taken a 4 hour bus ride from petra to Amman and walked to the bus station - fair to say we were shattered. We agreed to stay for 1 night at this arranged hotel and thought we would then make our own way to Parharganj. We got back in the taxi and was driven around every dump in Delhi possible for a further hour before he gave up and said he couldn't find it and dropped us to a hotel we had been to approx 2 hours before to ask for directions. The hotel was quite nice except for cockroaches in the bathroom that I think Pete wanted to keep to throw on me in the night (he seems to think this is funny) but a flip flop was taken to it instead! After all that we finally got our head down, well after me ranting that i hated India and wanted to leave straight away. Lesson learnt - always have a reservation for your first night in India and arrange for them to pick you up from airport!!! Needless to say things looked better in the morning after sleep and some food. Since, India so far has been good.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb