Fuji in its Glory


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Shizuoka » Shimizu
April 14th 2023
Published: April 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post

2023_Blog 20_Japan



April 9 Port of Call: Shimizu, Japan – Weather: Clear sunny skies - 57°F/14°C – Wind: 15 to 20 mph.



As we sailed into harbor this Easter morning, we were greeted by a glorious sight of Mt. Fuji being bathed in sunlight and appeared to rise straight out of the sea. We had been told that this was quite a remarkable sight as the mountain is frequently wrapped in clouds and not visible.

Now that we have seen it, legend holds that we will come back to Japan once again.

Our excursion for the day included a visit to the Shinto Kambe-jinja Shrine with its highly decorative wooden buildings. As with all the shrines visited on this trip this one presented the viewer with an explosion of color, fantastic carvings overlaid with a feeling of tranquility.

Following that visit we were driven into the central portion of Shimizu to view the Sumpu Castle Park, which now uses the space once occupied by the castle which was destroyed in the 1854 earthquake. Today the grounds are a large public park which includes the Momijiyama Japanese Garden. The garden is modeled after a daimyo’s garden and strikes a harmony of pleasure and joy. Following a winding path, the visitor experiences four different garden landscapes that combine the scenery of Sunga Province into one venue. The tour ended on the Pacific Coast at Miho-no-Matsubara Mihonomatubara beach, and more views of Mt. Fuji. The beach and the adjoining old pine forest are part of Mt. Fuji’s UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Our day ended with fireworks over the harbor as we sailed away. The Japanese are very happy to see the return of tourism, especially the cruise ships, and show their appreciation towards us at every opportunity.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb