Temples & Shrines


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Osaka » Osaka
April 11th 2023
Published: April 11th 2023
Edit Blog Post

2023_Blog 18_Japan



April 7 Port of Call: Osaka, Japan (Day 1) – Weather: 66°F/19°C – Heavy rain - Wind: 6.9 mph.



We docked in Osaka today and will remain in port until 4:00 pm tomorrow giving guests the opportunity to enjoy full day excursions and some of Osaka’s night life.

Once again rain poured down on us and we are beginning to think that we are no longer human but are transforming into waterfowl with webbed feet. Today was dedicated to touring religious sites: two Buddhist Temples and one Shinto Shrine. Our first stop was at Horyuji Temple noted for having some of the world’s oldest surviving wooden structures. The temple buildings have existed for more than 1,300 years. In 1993, since the temple was a unique center for Buddhist culture, UNESCO recognized it as part of the World Heritage.

Next, we moved on to view the largest figure of Buddha in Japan. Once again, we had a tour guide who forgot to “guide” her guests. It takes time to get off a loaded bus of guests and our guide set off at a furious pace leaving some of us wondering where she went. As in a previous post I mentioned that the guides don’t distribute entrance tickets on the bus but right at the entrance gate. If you get separated, then you are out of luck to enter the site. This happened to us! Fortunately, a very understanding young lady on the entrance gate took pity on us and let us in to see Buddha.

Our last stop was at a Shinto Shrine, which once again was up a steep hill. I ventured up to have a look see while B stayed on the bus to try to dry out a bit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb