Castle Climb


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kochi » Kochi
April 11th 2023
Published: April 11th 2023
Edit Blog Post

2023_Blog 17_Japan



April 6 Port of Call: Kochi, Japan – Weather: Showers - 63°F/17°C – Wind 6.9 mph.



Great! rain again – seems to be the theme the last few days. Japan is currently sitting under several conflicting low-pressure systems. Today we set off to Kochi Castle one of only 12 original castles remaining in Japan. If the structures were not destroyed in the many civil wars they accidentally burned or were destroyed in natural disasters only to be demolished by the Government. During the Westernization of Japan, the Government of the time thought that they should cut their ties with their historical past. Usual thinking all round!

Like most castles the central tower was set high on a hill requiring guests to climb countless steps just to reach it. The Castle Tower itself is an impressive white building standing 18.5 meters tall. On the outside the tower presents three layers while inside there are actually 6 floors connected by very nearly vertical stairs. This structure was destroyed in a fire in 1727 and rebuilt in 1749 staying true to the original building design and construction methods. No iron nails were used. To gain access one had to remove one’s shoes and place them in a plastic bag. Because it was raining our ponchos and umbrellas had to be placed in plastic bags as well, all of which had to be carried with you while you navigated around the interior. Carrying all these extra bags made it a bit awkward when trying to take photos.

Our tour guide for today must have been a mountain goat in a previous life. She moved up the castle hill at lighting speed leaving most of us wondering where she had gone. It was only at the top that she decided to distribute tickets for the museum, which was at the bottom of the hill. This meant that if you were unable to climb to the top you couldn’t get a ticket. B due to her asthma couldn’t do the climb and stayed below with several other individuals who also had medical issues. If the tickets had been distributed before the climb, B and the others could have spent a much drier time exploring the museum at their leisure.

The entrance area of the museum presented an overview chronology of Tosa history and pictorial maps of the Tosa Domain. The main exhibition hall was devoted to the art and culture of the Sengoku and Edo Periods, 16th century to the mid-19th century. Artifacts of the Daimyo (feudal lord), including armor, swords, Noh masks and items used in the tea ceremony were on display. In addition, the Tosa culture was represented by paintings, and calligraphy.

The final stop for the day was at local beach which unfortunately was blocked off from our view by a rather imposing seawall.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb