Niseko Ski Resort


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hokkaido
January 30th 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We spent the next four days all at Niseko Ski Resort, where it DID NOT STOP SNOWING for the whole time we were there except once on one afternoon when the sun peeped though. I took the chance to take as many photos as possible.

In Japan, from Nov to April it snows like nowhere else in the world, probably because its a small island. Lots of cold air and snow comes down from Russia over the Sea of Japan. Japan is also known for its soft powder snow, which, although difficult to ski and turn on, is definitely the most fun to fall on!

The mountain, called Annapuri, is huge. Due to the snowfall you hardly ever see the top of it, and we didnt, as it was always covered by clouds. There are 4 sides of the mountain to ski on, but we only did three, as access to the last side was closed due to wind and fog. The only other way to get there other than chair lift was by bus, so we didnt bother. Anyway there was still so much of the other 3 sides that we didn't even have time to touch.

Our hotel was nice. However the traditional public bath ("furo") was interesting as it was shared and you are expected to take all you clothes off. Luckily for me I had it all to myself most of the time. What you have to do is wash yourself on a little upsidedown bucket completely clean. Then you can soak in the (really hot) big bath.

The skiiing in Japan was fantastic. Soft, fresh new snow everyday, and skiiing from 8am to 9pm at night, with floodlights to light the entire mountain.








Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb