Hiroshima: August 6th


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima
August 6th 2005
Published: September 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Atomic Bomb DomeAtomic Bomb DomeAtomic Bomb Dome

This is the Atomic Bomb Dome, or A-Bomb Dome. It is the only original building that has been left standing in Hiroshima since the city was rebuilt 60 years ago.
Saturday August 6th was the 60th anniversary of the Atomic Bomb being dropped on Hiroshima. There were memorials going on all day, and then at night they had a lantern lighting festival. Two of the other English teachers (Heather and Stacey) and I spent the day sightseeing. We started off at the Atomic Bomb Dome, and then wandered through the Peace Park. By the afternoon we were ready to get away from the crowds so we walked to Hiroshima Castle and spent a few hours there. After dinner we made our way back towards the A-Bomb Dome and the river, and participated in the lantern floating ceremony. It was really pretty to see all of the lanterns floating down the river, unfortunately my pictures do not do it justice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Atomic Bomb DomeAtomic Bomb Dome
Atomic Bomb Dome

This is the Atomic Bomb Dome, or A-Bomb Dome. It is the only original building that has been left standing in Hiroshima since the city was rebuilt 60 years ago.
Japanese family praying to Sadako statueJapanese family praying to Sadako statue
Japanese family praying to Sadako statue

Sadako was the girl who tried to make the 1000 cranes for world peace after the Atomic Bomb. This is the statue in Hiroshima in her honour.
Hiroshima CastleHiroshima Castle
Hiroshima Castle

View of castle entrance
Hiroshima Castle groundsHiroshima Castle grounds
Hiroshima Castle grounds

Stacey, Lisa and Heather
Hiroshima Castle Hiroshima Castle
Hiroshima Castle

Front of Hiroshima Castle
It was too hard to resist!It was too hard to resist!
It was too hard to resist!

Okay, so when they let you try on "warrior clothes" such as these, I just can't say 'no!'
Warrior HeatherWarrior Heather
Warrior Heather

Heather could not resist either!
Lisa and view of HiroshimaLisa and view of Hiroshima
Lisa and view of Hiroshima

The best part about visiting most of these castles is that there is usually a look-out from the top of them, and they always have the best view of the city.
View of HiroshimaView of Hiroshima
View of Hiroshima

View of Hiroshima's downtown area from the top of Hiroshima Castle
LisaLisa
Lisa

Some of the city's parks are really pretty!
Hiroshima parkHiroshima park
Hiroshima park

Some of the city\'s parks are really pretty!
Aioi Bridge DescriptionAioi Bridge Description
Aioi Bridge Description

This bridge is next to the Atomic Bomb Dome.
Our lanternOur lantern
Our lantern

Stacey, Heather, and I pitched in to buy our own lantern for 600 Yen (approx. 6 or 7 $). It is not a very clear picture, but I had to at least show it.
The A-Bomb Dome at nightThe A-Bomb Dome at night
The A-Bomb Dome at night

For this occasion the A-Bomb was surrounded with memorial candles. It was very pretty.
Me stuck on a rock in the river.Me stuck on a rock in the river.
Me stuck on a rock in the river.

Somehow I did not notice that there was a tide coming into the river...needless to say, I had to get my feet wet!
Floating lanternsFloating lanterns
Floating lanterns

I don't have a very good picture of the floating lanterns, but this will give you an idea.


Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 91; dbt: 0.1s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb