Finally time for cherry blossom: Sakura Season in Fukuoka!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Fukuoka » Fukuoka
April 4th 2015
Published: May 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

As I arrived back at my flat after my travels I was greeted by trees with branches bursting with pale pink flowers. At last it was cherry blossom season! Or sakura season as its known in Japan.

I was so glad I hadn't missed it. Since arriving in Japan, I'd heard so much about so much about the sakura, it is loved by every one here. There is a real build up to it and sakura products begin popping up everywhere; special coffees in Starbucks, beauty products and every poster begins featuring the pretty flowers.

Every year Japanese people all over the country wait for the few weeks when the trees are at their full glory so that they can go out and hanami in parks and local sakura viewing spots. The word 'hanami' translates literally as 'flower viewing' however there is more to it than looking at the flowers. Any grassy area with surrounding cherry blossom trees will be filled with picnic blankets as everybody spends these special two weeks sat amongst the trees eating all sorts of food; from sandwiches to traditional Japanese bento boxes and even full blown barbecues. Often there will be alcohol involved too,
namely Sake, Japan's rice wine.

Apparently there are number of rules and etiquettes that must be followed when hanami-ing during sakura season. For instance, people will go out in the morning and set out their picnic blankets (normally plastic sheets) and sometimes foam floor cushions too to mark their spot for the day. Since the park will be filled with people trying to find picnic spots, it is considered rude to take more space than you need. Often groups will end up pretty close together but this sometimes leads to the two groups interacting (especially when they realise you're foreign!). Of course since it is Japan, you must not leave ANY litter. People will have their own bin bags with them and will take it all home with them, unless there is a dedicated area to bin your picnic waste which often there is in popular hanami areas (surprising for Japan where there are NO public bins!!!). These picnics will be very well organised and there will be paper plates and cups, bottle openers, packable wine glass, disposable body warmers etc. to ensure the best hanami possible.

Now thats the traditional way to do it. As foreign students obviously we want to get involved in these activities, especially during the most famous season in Japan. So this lead to a big group of us heading to Ohori Park one afternoon set with the extra thick blankets we were given at the beginning of the year (as if it ever gets cold enough to use it!). At the end of year they're going to receive lots of grassy blankets back!

People brought a range of food from homemade german schnitzel to a few packets of crisps from the convenience stores to bento boxes, both bought and home made. I arrived a little later than everyone else and unfortunately missed a group of old Japanese people inviting everyone to drink with them. It sounded like a lot of fun. Apparently they came over and began offering them food, beer and sake insisting they must try Japanese delicacies. Little did they know we had lived here for 6 months already and had probably tried them all on more than one occasion but apparently they were just so enthusiastic about it. I guess thats the feeling amongst most people during sakura season.

When I arrived we sat and ate the food we'd bought and I opened the bottle of sparkling wine I'd treated myself to. Sakura season is as good enough excuse right?! After I took a wander around the park. The spot we were in was a particularly popular one so there were a number of food stalls around selling various Japanese treats. I love the food stalls at Japanese festivals!

Everyone was in such good spirits. Taking pictures of the beautiful flowers, playing Frisbee or just sat our chatting. It was such a nice atmosphere in the park. I really understand why the season means so much to the Japanese.

Unfortunately the afternoon was cut short as the heavens decided to open. I couldn't help but think it was like a British summer! However the rain and cherry blossom do not mix well so the rain meant that we would only have a few more days of sakura season left.

The next day sun was shining again so we decided to head out again for a some more hanami whilst we still could. We went to Maizuri Park where the Fukuoka Castle ruins are. I is also a very famous place to hanami due to
the abundance of cherry blossom trees. This time there was a smaller group of us but it was still great fun. Our Japanese friend even brought his dog which was SO cute! Whilst we were there some young Japanese children kept running over to us to try to talk to us. Japanese children are the cutest so of course we didn't mind but their parents kept apologising and even bought us over some sweets at one point! It was so kind of them, especially since the children were keeping us amused!

As the sun went down it began to get windy and this was the first time I saw a sakura storm! This is where the petals began falling off the trees in masses like snow falling or something. It was so beautiful, I just wanted to run through it and dance in it. However despite its beauty, this meant that the cherry blossom was disappearing and it was disappearing fast!

After it was dark, there was a light up of the cherry blossom trees. This was great as the lights reflecting off the petals made them look all different colours and really pretty. Japan has lots of
light ups throughout the year differing for each season and this is something they have got so right. They take something beautiful like a temple, the maple leaf or cherry blossom and highlight it in all its glory!

The following days saw the falling of all the cherry blossom and thus the end of sakura season. After it fell the ground was completely covered in the pale pink leaves, only to be swept away by people trying to clear the pavements or eventually by the wind.

I had waited all year for it to arrive and I felt as if it was gone all too quickly. I guess its short life is what makes it so special. I am very lucky that I arrived back from my travels when I did, had I been a week or so later, I would have completely missed it.

For anyone thinking of visiting to Japan, spring is the time to do it. Before the rainy season, before the humidity and when the cherry blossom is out. End of March to the beginning of April is your best shot. Whilst it can be difficult to plan the exact dates to ensure you are here when the flowers are in full bloom, if you miss it you can always just follow the sakura up north or find it further down south if you arrive too early!

The best cherry blossom I saw surprisingly wasn't in a park or in a famous hanami area but rather on the trees outside our building. I think it had something to do with the fact that the building is painted a very similar colour to the flowers, I don't know if this is intentional or not but it really emphasises the cherry blossom. I made sure to get a flower from these trees and have I have pressed it in a book so that a little bit of my sakura season in Japan can stay with me forever!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement




Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb