carole & MaryLou's Excellent Adventure-continues


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
November 6th 2012
Published: November 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

November 3

Arrived at Komodo Island at dawn after two beautiful sea days. The water is like glass and the sun coming up over the islands was lovely. The last two days have been very relaxing. We get up early, enjoy a mini breakfast in the room and then head out for. …whatever. At midmorning we usually have a little something to supplement room service. One morning we were in the pool when the water aerobics so we joined the group and I nearly drowned at the deep end. Another morning we sat our on the Lower Promenade deck and watched the world go by.

At lunchtime there is a buffet by the Lido pool, Balinese, Pilipino, Mexican or Chinese, all taste delicious. MaryLou has attended classes on Reflexology and acupuncture, I play trivia, and there is plenty of time for reading and napping. I might go to the lecture if it is something that interests me. I won the Hold’em tournament so I’m up $10. We enjoyed a show and last night we went to the movies and saw The Exotic Marigold Hotel and enjoyed that too.

Today while the dragon watchers went ashore we indulged ourselves to a full body massage and facial. We weighed the options carefully; dragons, 90 degrees, 82% humidity versus a massage. Body papering won. It was heaven, my masseuse made me purr and I think I even fell asleep for a bit. Tomorrow we visit Lombok, Indonesia.



Exotic Indonesia

This is the day that we explore the culture of Indonesia. Our bus is air conditioned and comfortable and we head to the capital city of Mararam for our first stop, the Lombok Museum. The minute we got off the bus we were assaulted by vendors selling junk stuff. Once we were on museum grounds they left us alone until we had to run the gauntlet back to the bus. This happened at every stop. I took to watching the ground, never making eye contact and staying silent. It was a little unnerving but not unbearable. At the Museum we were served tea, coffee, Indonesian sweets and mango juice before a quick tour inside. Though small, the museum covered the highlights of the island and there were some wonderful swords and jewelry to drool over. I could have stayed longer there but we were soon on the road to the Narmada Water Palace.

This palace was built in 1727 by the Balinese king who conquered Lombok. We did not have the time or endurance to explore the grounds but we certainly hit the highlights; the pool where the harem would bath and where the King would select his partner for the night, the pools that have been opened for public bathing and the largest pool shaped into a replica of the crater on Mt. Rinjani, the second largest volcano in Indonesia. The king would make a pilgrimage every year to the summit and when he was too old to make the journey, he had the pool built so he could continue to fulfill his vows. This pool has been left alone, no bathing, boating, just a lovely setting. Since it was Sunday, many locals were at the Palace, picnicking, swimming and meeting there friends.

Our third stop was the Lingsar temple complex where Moslems, Christians and Hindu worship. The Hindu temple contained offerings of flowers, fruits and incense and many people were there to worship. There are Mosques nearby, the Island is 91% Moslem and the call to prayer echoed across the grounds.

Now it was time for lunch and we drove to the Senggigi Resort a lovely gated hotel in an iffy location. We spoke to guests from Holland and, for them; this was wonderful, for us, not so sure.

We had lunch on the lawn by the ocean. The hotel is on the ocean and separated from the beach by a stonewall. On the other side of the wall, the ubiquitous vendors try to lure the guests. There was music, not Indonesian, but rather Marley and Simon & Garfunkel. They knew their audience.

We stayed on the bus for the last stop, an Indonesian village tour by horse cart. It was just too hot. The carts were lined up and each small horse pulled the cart with three or four people. The horses looked healthy and we watched as a driver scratched his horse’s nose as the horse nuzzled him. This is the way locals get around in rural areas.

Thoughts on Lombok

Like most poor places, Lombok has a problem with trash. The method of trash removal is burning and the population generates more trash than it can handle so streams and vacant lots are piled with it. The homes are small and very basic with a very few larger fancy homes next door. Unlike Morocco, there were very few satellite dishes. The public buildings are well constructed and the mosques are beautiful. The roads are good and most people drive scooters. The people are good-looking and very friendly. We were here on Sunday and were impressed by the number of families are together enjoying the parks and beaches. It was a hot humid day but we’re glad we went ashore.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0887s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb