Back in business - October 2008


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Timor
October 30th 2008
Published: November 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Improvised Training roomImprovised Training roomImprovised Training room

Used the medical committe room with some borrowed laptops to complete Training of Trainers Course.
3 weeks on from the fire and we are back on track. We have a new computer training room and managed to salvage 5 computers from the fire and have 3 others that have been donated by VSO in Bali. So 8 useful computers - some with burn holes in the cases but they work!!!

Immediately after the fire we met with the hospital management who were really keen that we re-establish the training room. So that is what we have done. They still plan to buy the Hospital Computer System in November as the money that has been allocated and will not be diverted to re-building the burnt out building. Buildings come cheap here -land and labour is cheap but technology and expertise is in short supply so they are keen for us to stay and help them get going with the technology.

They and VSO would like this hospital to become center of excellence of the surrounding islands and for other hospital managers to come here to see how things can be done - so that is good for us as we continue to have their support and commitment.

2 weeks later and training courses are
New training RoomNew training RoomNew training Room

This is the Intensive Care Unit with wards above which were never used as they failed to put in any way to get patients into wards!! So used to store rubbish bins - why aren't the rubbish bins out in teh hospital grounds
running again, the new computers have arrived for the hospital system and the team from the suppliers are installing them. Sam Theisen another VSO volunteer (younger -30 and fitter) from Holland has arrived and is excited about taking over managing the project - he is a great guy and should do a splendid job . He will be here for the next 2 years.

So time for Colin and I to move on , we plan to travel Indonesia bit before returning home for Christmas.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

New training RoomNew training Room
New training Room

Colin at work fixing salvaged computers
New Training RoomNew Training Room
New Training Room

Rosemary at work cleaning the floor. Is this a fair distibution of work effort????
Training Room toilet blockTraining Room toilet block
Training Room toilet block

Was not prepared to clean the toilet block - more hospital records in evidence


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb