Orangutans!


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sumatra » Pulau Weh
April 22nd 2008
Published: April 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all!

A bit behind with the travel blogs, as you can see from the date that this was published we are doing a bunch all in Singaopore. But from Indonesia here we go..........................

Indonesia was brilliant! The journey was eventful to say the least, ferry crossing from Melaka in Malaysia was fine until we got off........where Meme got her bag searched for smuggling tampons! They didn't care about all the unlabelled vitamins and assortment of antibiotics and not forgetting those clean syringes-oh no just the tampons. Do you know how hard it is to tell 2 men that don't speak english what a tampon is (apperntly they don't have them in Indo!)...I tell you what bloody difficult, they just kept feeling them, they even smelt them!

First stop was Bukkittinggi, which was a bit random as all we did was see a massive fungi/flower (definition not that clear!), which sounds a bit lame but a 1m wide fungi/flower was I have to admit pretty dam cool! Oh by the way the correct name is Rafflesia, for all of those that are interested!

Next was Lake toba the largest crater lake in South East Asia, according to Bridge its 1707km squared and 450m deep (but what does she know lol!). Was very chilled out and it was lush, although a bit scary to swim in, what with the monster that lives there! Well thats what Bridge told me, but again what does she know...me thinks she might have just been trying to scare me...what a meany! We did get a scooter with gears to cruise around the island, which was fun, although a little scary at first...what with it being the first time I had driven a bike with gears!

Then was Bukit Laweng for some hard core trekking and rafting, which was great. Although it was not a patch on seeing wild and semi wild orangutans. They were massive it was mental just seeing them swinging through the trees...so orange!!!!!!!!!

Finally was Pulau Weh a little island in N.Sumatra, it had the most diverse and numerous fish we have ever seen!!!!!! We did lots of snorkleing and diving, bridge saw a turtle..which I didn't see gutted...shouldn't be so greedy with my air! We swam across to a beautiful deserted island on one of the days, there was only about 4 people on it!!! A couple of days later we did the 2km swim again, only to find a wedding goin on...random, but cool as we scammed a free lunch, wkd! We also had a little convo with the brides mummy...whos was a proper brit! We stayed in guesthouse with the nicect lady...Mama she coooked for us (Big Pancakes-her words!) and chatted with us, she even showed us her 1 week old kittens and hugged and kissed us good bye...bless!

So after sooooooooo many long and uncomftable coach journeys we decided to go for a little luxury and fly back to Malaysia, also was only 17 quid bargin! Thats one thing I forgot to say about Indo was that it was dirt cheap....brilliant! Made up for the lack of showers (Mandi's instead) and squat toilets!

Hope all is good at home and we are being missed!

Love

Meme (and Bridge who watched me write speaking only to tutt at my spelling mistakes lol!)
xxx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb