Back in Kadidiri


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sulawesi » Togean Islands
August 30th 2011
Published: September 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Arriving back in Wakai I couldnt find Teteng who had promised she would meet us there, but getting on the boat i didnt realise there was two boats going back to Kadidiri so i met up with her there for a big hug! Tommi through sand at me his way of saying hi and mama gave me a big cuddle. Quite a few guests arrived on the same boat so Teteng said she had no rooms! But i moved back into the same room i was in before in the house, my favorite. I then spent the afternoon catching up with everyone and speaking with the guests that were already there and those that had just arrived.
Much of the next three week i spent in Kadidiri was really been lazy but i met some amazing people and had some of the best ever fun! At night sometimes i would lie in the hammok with Teteng and/or Anna, the boys would sometimes do a fire and sit around playing guitar and singing, occasionally we would go down to the other end of the beach and sit on the pier and watch sunset from there and eat chocolate! (i didnt realise they sold chocolate at one of the other hostels for about ten days!), if there werent many guests i would play cards with Pudin, Amal and Akar and one night it was nice to just listen to Pudin and Amal play guitar and do a small fire when all the other guests went to bed real early, other nights i would spend talking to Teteng and Anna in the house and listen to music writing down the lyrics to the songs, one night we had a party for Rizal's birthday luckly Mama had decided to make it that day to spend the night in Ampana! and one night i went out on the boat to watch sunset with Pudin and Lanny with a few more guests.
During the day i did snorkelling sometimes at Paradise where we would try and collect shells but had lots of fish to see too, i liked to swim around to Barracuda beach where there was a great reef, otherwise we took the boat to Karina beach, Tipei Island or Kota reef where there was great snorkelling. Karina beach in white sand and beautiful, Tipei Island is great for camping as it has an old unused but well looked after hostel there. Some days i went to Wakai to the waterfall, to the market on a sunday or just for somethin to do when Teteng was going and we would just spend the afternoon at someone's house there. I seem to be always doing laundry! When i arrived they were painting and fixing the main boat that they used to move around tourists, after a few days of been back Akar asked me to paint 'Lestari Kadidiri' on the boat, so me and Eli spent a day stencelling it on then painting over it then re-doing it but in the end Akar was happy and we painted it on. Getting the paint off me took a few days though and its never going to come off my clothes! but it was good fun so no complaining.
One day i went on a trip with Teteng, Anna and Akar to a beach they own near Bomba about 3hrs from Kadidiri. Teteng and Anna had never been to the beach but they had had a guest who was interested in buying some beach to put some accomadation on so we went to take photos of it to send them. We left early and stopped off in Wakai to get fuel taking lunch with us. It was a long, very hot trip there but very beautiful. The beach is one of the most beautiful i have ever seen, the sea water is hot and there is fresh water from the stream there the local villagers come to do their laundary and collect water for drinking and cooking, they bathe in the stream. When we arrived Akar made a fire and cooked the fish we had picked up from a fisherman on the way and we ate it with the rice and vegies we had brought with us. After we went for a walk and took photos then went for a swim. Anna and myself then went to wash all the salt water off us with water from the well. We didnt realise we were supposed to use the water from the stream so Anna just used one ofthe well buckets that the villagers were using to collect water and started pouring it over me! until Akar saw us and told us to use the stream, the villagers were looking at us funny! After packing up our things we then took the boat to the village where Akar was born near by. We met up with his family and had tea then with Teteng and Anna i headed to the market and we bought fruit but it was just so hot! In the village we met a very disable boy who spent his life on a mattress in a room, it was wierd as the girls found it scary that he had a large head but it made me realise how different they recognise disabled people in Indonesia then they do in a western country. After we headed back to Kadidiri the trip back taking just over two hours. Mama and Akar were very excited about the possibility of building on the beach and very one couldnt wait to see the photos.
Another day i went on a day trip with Eli and a family that were also staying at the hostel. We took lunch with us, first we stopped off at a reef where there was some really good snorkelling and Eli caught a fish with his hands! We then went to Boulilanga where we made a bbq and ate lunch andof cause did some more snorkelling. Then it was off to Fiddila where i took a shower in fresh water! amazing before heading back to Kadidiri we stopped off at Karina beach for a bit more snorkelling and to watch sunset. Fiddila and Boulilanga are both other hostels on other islands Fiddila is very nice and even has volley ball nets and table tennis tables. It was a really nice day and lucky the boat was covered as it was hot hot hot.
In the third week i went on a camping trip for 4days 3nights with Pudin (to start with anyway) and Lanny. We headed to Sunset beach to pick up four other guests that would be joining us but they werent there so we headed to Wakai to find them there. Eventually we found them around 1ish and after them arguing about money and when we would be returning we headed over to Tipei Island where we spent the night. Soon after arriving Pudin and Lanny got a fire going in the old kitchen and made rice and fish with the enormous fresh fish we had bought in Wakai. Three of the guys slept in the old huts but Else, Pudin and myself slept on a mattress in the restaurant, some good Indonesian camping! At night i went out on to the jetty where the view of the stars was amazing. Then after dinner Pudin and Lanny played guitar and Pudin for some un known reason to mankind wanted his armpit hair plucking much to Else's and my amusment.
The next morning i snorkelled around the island before we headed of to a sea gypsy village of supplies from there Pudin headed back to Kadidiri while the rest of us went to Carina beach for some more snorkelling and to make lunch. We met some of the other guys that were staying at Lestari there (they were doing an afternoon trip) but then we headed for the mangroves. The mangroves were great and after a walk along the boardwalk then through the mud we found a very small fresh water hole where we each had a wash. Getting the salt off you feels great! From the mangroves we went to some more un-used huts where we spent the night. Lanny, the boatman, Else and myself spent most of the night on the small jetty talking and laughing and listening to the guitar while the others put up tents and went to bed early. Again Else and myself slept in the resturant on the mattress. After Pudin had left i helped Lanny cook dinne and breakfast put we some how managed to lose the salt and sugar! not a good start but we survived.
On our last day of the trip we headed for Boulilanga and Fidilla cottages where we made a bbq for lunch, did some snorkelling, bumped into Mardi again and relaxed on the beach. We then went to another gypsy village for some fuel before heading to the village where Lanny had lived for 15yrs and where his sister still lived. For dinner they made us an amazing fish, vegies and rice, we drank fresh coconut and ate coconut balls with brown sugar in the centre that were amazing. After dinner Lanny, Else and myself went for a walk down to the end of the jetty where we saw the fish eyes lighting up below and just sat around talking and laughing at Lanny. We spent the night at Lanny's sisters house on the floor of the living room. The next morning we left heading back to Kadidiri.
Early on in me returning i was helping Teteng cook in the kitchen and somehow this started an egg fight. This escalated to regular egg fights with Pudin (a bit too regular), fights in the sea, sand fights, and before long banana fights (i started this as Pudin had covered me in egg and was lying on the table next to a plate of bananas, i know i didnt have time to go to the kitchen to get eggs so got the banana's instead). Know matter what i was doing even if i had just had a shower and was cooking in the kitchen i usually got an egg, Mama laughed but Pudin got in trouble anyway! She even gave me an egg to through at him one day. Amal ususally joined in and as soon as i returned from the camping trip i was talking with Pudin when Amal came and gave him a present of eggs so as i was going to lunch i ended up with egg on my head! When the guests asked why i didnt go get a shower first i told them there was no point it would continue after lunch regardless. And it did. Else and myself managed to tie Pudin up and blindfold him the put him in the sea (i was careful not to put his head in kindly) but he managed to get us back with eggs anyway. Rizal and Pudin had fun one day tying me up and blindfalling me when mama wasnt there, after taking photos Teteng and Anna managed to untie me! On another occasion Pudin said i couldnt climb so i managed to climb up one of the rooms but then couldnt get back down! In the end it was lots of fun and it made my stay on the island even when i was showering and Pudin was throughing eggs over the top! All of my clothes were stained in egg, not one single item missed out! I wasnt too happy though on my last night when Pudin started the second egg fight of the day, i had to wash the clothes and couldnt possibly get them dry before leaving!
On my last day i went diving again this time to Tipei wall, some beautiful coral but not too many fish. At night i sat around and listened to the guitar for the final time.




Additional photos below
Photos: 135, Displayed: 30


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.134s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb