sun day 58


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Yogyakarta
March 19th 2015
Published: March 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Had to set my alarm for 05.30 to get to the airport on time for my flight to Bali. Having again a bit of an issue with the taxi driver - first him not wanting to go on the meter, would rather charge me 180,000 rupiah as opposed to 50,000, secondly driving really slowly even though there being no traffic on the road and thirdly trying to make me pay for airport parking! I gave him 50,000 as that's what it cost from airport to hotel, had a word and got out the car - annoyed from how unnecessary he had been!
Sitting waiting for my plane a lady with her 8yr old daughter from Borneo wanted a photo and a hug! Very unexpected but very endearing all the same. Next I chatted to a nice man from Flores who was almost fluent in English as used to be a tour guide. The people ive come into contact with in Indonesia are either desperate to rip you off for anything from a can of coke to a bus ride or just generally very friendly, happy to help and want nothing in return.
After a painless 45 minute flight we had landed in Bali. Walking through the usual hoards of men surrounding you trying to sell you a rip off taxi, i made it out the other side to get a metered taxi to a hostel I had seen online. After another issue of not being able to find it - we found it! I got booked into a dorm room for 2 nights - friendly staff, clean, modern and only £8 a night - perfect! Heading out to find the beach, Bali really wasn't what i was expecting - being full of Australians and British 20 - 30 yr olds here to party, roads full of expensive shops and everything catered towards the tourist. The beach having dark, grainy, volcanic sand and being full of resort sun loungers with rubbish dotted along in-between, the sea being popular for surfing but not so good for swimming and loud music pumping out of various speakers - not really sure why this is such a big holiday destination! Back at the hostel I spent the evening chatting with a nice girl from England until it was time to get some sleep - maybe tomorrow would be different........

Advertisement



Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb