Yogyakarta (07 Sept 2010)


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Yogyakarta
September 8th 2010
Published: September 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

YogyakartaYogyakartaYogyakarta

Small streets of Sosrowijayan
We arrived in Yogyakarta or Yogya with an even more violent landing then in Lombok... It was raining and was already dark so not much to see till the hotel. Our hotel "1001 Malam" is really great even if the access through a small pedestrian way may look a bit scary during rainy nights. It seems newly built and is very close to the commercial street of Malioboro. We went for dinner after check in in a restaurant close to the hotel full of backpackers. We shared a table with 2 Austrian chicks making a 6 month tour of South East Asia and gave them plenty of tips for their next destination... Bali.

The next morning, we wake up to make a tour in the city. We were told to visit mainly Malioboro street, the Sultan palace, the bird market and the water castle which is also exactly what we have done... None of them are really impressive to see and you always need to double check with a local if you are on the right spot by asking questions such as... Sorry but is this the Sultan Palace??? or I think we might already be in the bird market...
YogyakartaYogyakartaYogyakarta

Malioboro commercial street


However, the great thing about these kind of spots is that you feel in a total different type of city then the ones you may know at home. You get totally lost in the markets, small streets and crowds. People enjoy talking to you and without asking me where I am from they start to speak in French... is it that obvious that I am a french speaking person?

We took a becak (bike with 2 seats in the front and driver in the back) to head back to the hotel. We stopped in a restaurant called Bintang Resto close to our hotel which was diffusing some old Janez Detd songs... (old belgian ska punk band).

Otherwise, huge disappointment by the end of the day, we were told that tomorrow is the last excursion to Mount Bromo and that all travel agents will close for several days due to Idul Fitri (end of Ramadan)... we planned already Borobudur and Prambanan which are 2 temples impossible to skip. The receptionist gave us some extra stress by telling us that probably all trains to Surabaja, our next destination, would be fully booked till next week...uuh... We went directly to
YogyakartaYogyakartaYogyakarta

The market
the station and got ourselves some tickets without any trouble but then rain started to fall like crazy and we were stuck for an hour at the entrance gate of the station. We decided to end our day in a bar drinking a few beers to stop thinking about our very frustrating moments of the day.

More to come very soon due that as said before we will go for the UNESCO sites of Prambanan and Borobudur!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

YogyakartaYogyakarta
Yogyakarta

Malioboro street
YogyakartaYogyakarta
Yogyakarta

Sultan Palace
YogyakartaYogyakarta
Yogyakarta

Bird Market
YogyakartaYogyakarta
Yogyakarta

The bird market
YogyakartaYogyakarta
Yogyakarta

Trippy art work close to the Water Castle
YogyakartaYogyakarta
Yogyakarta

View from Water Castle
YogyakartaYogyakarta
Yogyakarta

An underground Mosque
YogyakartaYogyakarta
Yogyakarta

Riding on a Becak
YogyakartaYogyakarta
Yogyakarta

At the station waiting for an hour that rain calms down.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb