getting caught in a monsoon


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Yogyakarta
April 28th 2010
Published: April 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Flying into Yogyakarta we had no expectations, for the first time we were going somewhere Paul hasn't been before! Yoggy is a hugh city and compared to Singapore is very dusty but our spirits soon perked up when we found a hotel to stay in.....Air con, ensuite, tv with swimming pool and breakfast included all for about 12pounds total! What more could we ask for!

After a day of wondering around the area and trying their Satay (very nice!) we thought it was about time for some cultural viewing and so went to a performance of ramayan traditional dance...there was a vague storyline to it but god knows what it was! Then to Sarah's horror we decided to go to Borobudur, the buddhist temple to see when in Indonesia, which is best viewed at sunrise which meant a 4.30am start! After eventually arriving there just after sunrise we had a good old look around and got very sweaty climbing all those steps (see photos!) but it was worth it, the views were amazing!

With a hint of sadness we left our fantastic hotel in Yoggy and booked a trip to see Mount Bromo (a great volcano). What was advertised as an 11 hour air-con bus trip turned into a 13 hour mini bus trip from hell with the "air-con" involving having all the windows open to get a breeze going! After finally arriving at 10.30pm we settled for the first hostel the bus came to and crashed for the night. The next day after checking the lonely plant guide we figured it should be a 40 mins walk to Bromo and decided to head up there earlyish morning...little did we know that the hostel people lied to us and we were in fact 5km from bromo and wierdly among many hotels all called Yoshies! After about 2 hours of all uphill walking (sometimes in the pouring rain) we finally gave in and got lifts from some locals on their motorbikes to the base of Bromo just in time to climb to the top in the monsoon! We went back to our hostel that day very cold, very wet and feeling very sorry for ourselves!




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



28th April 2010

Hello
Hey You Two - Poor Sarah you seem to have gone to war not gone on holiday! Chantelle sends me your blogs as I would never find them. You both seem happy and well and so much thinner - can't you afford to eat there? Keep on providing our entertainment while we live life through you! Sad Life we have! Bye Anne B
28th April 2010

Hi
Haha that was so funny u 2 look like drowned rats!! And that bed bug pic on the other page looks awful! Anyway hope ur having fun and be safe! x
1st May 2010

ah ha ha the drowned rat photos did make me laugh! poor things! the photos at the top of that temple look pretty cool though! worth the hike im sure! xx

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb