I Hate Brits Abroad


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Jakarta
June 5th 1989
Published: August 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Travelling by TrainTravelling by TrainTravelling by Train

Party Time on the Jakarta to Surabaia Express
Jakarta's reputation preceded it and we were strongly advised to find somewhere safe to stay and then get the hell out. Consequently we decided that slumming it was not an option and we would go up market. For us, that meant ten pounds each, which actually got a surprisingly nice hotel - a swimming pool (which we were actually entitled to use - see Better Accommodation But in Someone Else's Hotel), satellite TV, toilets that you could sit on and, wait for this, air-conditioning. We also got single beds and didn't have to share doubles.

We were taken to our hotel by their own bus. Looking around us, we could see why Jakarta had its reputation and we were glad we were securely in the bus. We kept the windows closed and our arms inside, as it wouldn't have surprised me if you ended up with your wrist-watch gone, and maybe your hand as well.

Satellite TV meant that we were able to catch up on what was going on in the world since we had been away, although it was an American view on the world, i.e. a world that centres round America. On the other hand, there was no British news channel, so
Travelling by TrainTravelling by TrainTravelling by Train

Party Time on the Jakarta to Surabaia Express
we were grateful for the American view. We arrived just after the massacre in Tiananmen Square, which was obviously dominating the headlines.

As per the advice, we arranged tickets straight out through the hotel so there was no need to venture out. After a sound nights sleep, we got a taxi to the train station and settled down for the 15 hour journey to Surabaia.

I am ashamed to say it, but we were not exactly ambassadors for our country on this train journey. To stand some chance of surviving 15 hours, we bought every single tin of beer that they had on the train and we started our own little party. In Singapore, we had bought some speakers that you can plug into your Walkman so it gave us a good opportunity to play some of those fake tapes we bought in Thailand, much to the annoyance of some of the other passengers. I think we went too far when we started dancing, off our heads, down the carriage and a guard finally came along to tell us to calm down.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Travelling by TrainTravelling by Train
Travelling by Train

Party Time on the Jakarta to Surabaia Express
Travelling by TrainTravelling by Train
Travelling by Train

Our fellow passengers


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb