Business meetings across India and into Indonesia


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Jakarta » Kepulauan Seribu
February 8th 2014
Published: February 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

One thing is certain, my line of work has some benefits: I get to travel to interesting places, and meet interesting people, all in a day's work. As you will see from the photos, most of my time was spent in meetings but people were keen to engage and get to know about Australian technology and innovation.


After I (Greg) left the girls in Udaipur, I traveled to Delhi and its surrounds, Hyderabad and its surrounds, Jakarta (in Indonesia of course), and Pelalawan in Sumatra. A lot of this was facilitated by Austrade, but more importantly facilitated by a series of really optimistic committed, young(er) people.

In Delhi I was met by Anirban and we visited a dairy institute as well as the Australian High Commission itself. Highlights were learning about the impacts of Australian public funding for agricultural R&D in rural India. We have been engaged for many decades and there are tangible outcomes from the commitment of generations of agricultural, social and health researchers to working in sometimes challenging environments.

In Hyderabad I was hosted by Ramki and we visited the famous ICRISAT facility as well as several food and nutrition institutes. I got to speak to local government representatives and farmers, and enjoyed the spirited exchange between citizens of this huge democracy.

In Indonesia for a week I was investigating aspects of red meat production, distribution and incorporation into public diets. My journey was facilitated by Indonesian scientific colleagues as well as Australia's Meat and Livestock Australia.

I have added a series of photographs to this blog, presented without judgement about the production systems of these two countries. Perhaps some of the choices they make are not to our liking. Perhaps they have fewer options than we do in Australia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Inside the Raj Hotel, HyderabadInside the Raj Hotel, Hyderabad
Inside the Raj Hotel, Hyderabad

Venue for a press interview
Indian Ongole cattleIndian Ongole cattle
Indian Ongole cattle

Some artistic licence here


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb