Bali Day 2- Ubud


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
December 8th 2009
Published: December 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kuta to Ubud.
Raka House Homestay.

We woke early, and began getting stuff together to head to Ubud. We decided we would eat breakfast and find a rental car.

Finding breakfast at 7 am proved difficult, Kuta is a late city, late nights and later mornings. We found a hotel that served breakfast. It was horrible, quite scary actually. Our second food experience in Bali- not to be remembered. The sausage was quite creepy looking. But our jet lag caused me to rise at 5am, after going to sleep at 2. It will be a long day!

Things were just starting to open up. No rental cars yet. There was a tourist booth at the hotel restaurant and we went there to ask about a rental car. Of course- his friend had one. They offered to do 7 days with a pickup in Padangbai for 1million. We offered 950,000. Though now I know we should have offered less. We all agreed and the man brought an older Suzuki 5 speed Jeep. We headed off to Ubud, thinking we knew the way. The alleyway was scary to drive in, hardly enough room!

I still don't know if we actually got lost, but we were not confident that we were on the right track. We stopped for supplies and petrol and headed out of town, with some sort of directions and a map. Driving in bali is insanity. Thank god my new husband is brave.

We arrived in Ubud, and couldn't find our homestay that we had found prior to leaving.

We got a bit lost there, Again! And ran across a veterinarian called Good Karma Vet Clinic on Lodtundah Road. I am a pre-vet med student, and all the sickly street dogs made me quite sad. We stopped and chatted with an Australian woman for about an hour, met some of their rescued dogs, and she explained the animal situation in Bali and told us of the shelter down the road ran by her and a friend. I think this clinic and the shelter BARC are worth checking out if you love animals.

We left and found Jl. Dewi Sita road, not the road of our hotel, but it looked cute and fun, so we gave up on our previous plan and started searching for a new place to stay. We found raka house, off of dewi sita road. A cute homestay ran by a cute man named Raka. It is clean, comfy, cute, and has a small-but cute and clean pool. It had a very homey homestay feel! I love it.

We checked in and relaxed after our long and lost day. Very accomodating, he brings hot water and tea, breakfast and anything you want. 200,000 rupiah per night- about 20usd.

Ubud is cute, artsy, trendy, and fun. Still cultural- but quite trendy.

Jonah went to get some food and trip around, but I was quite tired and didn't feel up for it. Too bad. He brought some pizza back, the only thing he could find to-go nearby. But he said that there was a sidewalk bbq going on with yummy satay and whatnot. Too bad. Jet lag!

I layed down for a nap, regretfully so, because the jet lag took hold. I slept all day, from about 1 pm until 11pm, and then again from midnight until about 3 am. When I woke at 3 am, I was wide awake. The jet lag was horrible!
Next time I will allow 2 to 3 days to recover from the 16 hour time change. But at least Rakas is comfy. And we still have much time to explore.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb