When you leave Heaven.... you must go through hell.....


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
September 26th 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

15 HOURS OF TRAVEL...UGH



So here we are back in Bali! HURRAH!!!! We loved the Gili's and we both plan to go back, our days consisted of suntanning, eating, drinking and snorkelling.... repeat!

We loaded up our belongings and headed back to Bali yesterday. oh what a day!

We go to the harbour on Gili Meno at 7:30 am and proceeded to wait until about 8 am to load the boat, after saying our goodbyes we were off. half an hour later we arrived in Lombok, and as we were getting off the boat, we were attacked by men trying to take our bags to carry. You see if you let them carry your bags they get money! However, wise to this, we grabbed our bags as quick as possible, and tried to manuver our way off. Unfortunately I (Shannon) lost my balance trying to hold my bag, and ended up face first in the water. My bag, purse and self were soaked! I was so upset, and was even more so as soon as I learned that my ipod was fried, and all my money and books were soaked! My jeans literally fell apart as I waded through the water to the sounds of Peddlers asking if I was going snorkelling! UGH!!!
Soon we were on a horse cart to the next waiting area, where luckily one dress was not wet, so I rinsed myself off, and changed. We proceeded to wait for another hour and a half here. Finally we were loaded into a bus, and taken to the ferry.... which was a good 2 hour drive.

Once at the ferry, we were shuttled on the boat, only to discover that it was a different lay out from the last one, this one much more opena ndMUCh more loud!!! More singing ensued, as did the crazy peddlers shoving food and water in our faces screaming 'ony 5000 rupiah....... ok for you 4000 rupiah' MADNESS!!!

An hour after boarding we finally set off, luckily sleep was to be had, as we didn't get much the night before, not wanting to miss the boat, and we wre busy drinking Bintang with the locals... ( also a bad idea before setting out to sea... to much beer!)

4 hours passed quickly, and we were soon on the shores of Bali... but oh no! once again, the port was to busy so aroudn in circles we went... for another 3 and a half hours. TORTURE!! We had eaten a small portion of rice all day, and decided to get a cup of soup eventually to tie us over.. surely it wasn't going to be long now.... 2 hours more passed.....

Finally the boat docks and there is a mad rush for the door, we grab our bags, and start to descend the stairs only to be told to wait beside a \bout 10 buses, and trucks of cargo. The fumes were uncontrolable, and we had to cover our mouths and noses to breath, because surley if the Indonesians were doing it, we had to, so we didn't suffocate!!! It was horrible. We were tired, and hungry.. and now in this little alley way with no where to go!

Finally we leave this potentially deadly area, and get out to safety! We are loaded into yet another bus, because we still have another 1 hour ride to Ubud.... Of course on the way to ubud, our driver stops for gas, and then we are pulled over by the police! Finally the driver gets back in the bus and we are off. We got dropped off about 6 city blocks from where we were staying, so we got our bags on and started to walk! UGH!
We literally walked into our room, and fell asleep. So here we are, back in Ubud (also now being referred to as home by us) and we are very very happy! We had the first fresh water shower in about 7 days, and a meal that was delightful. All in all the trip to Gili Meno was amazing... but lesson learned, pay the money to take the fast boat! The slow one is NOT WORTH IT.

Lessons learned this week:
1) Don't drink 5 large Bintangs the night before getting on a rickety fishing boat
2) Always secure electronics in a plastic bag and bury in many things to keep dry
3) Pay for the fast boat to the Gili's 60$ = good 16$ = very bad
4) buy good earplugs
5) prepare for many days of salt water showers if going to Gili's...or pay for a good hotel room
6) Eat breakfast before leaving anywhere, you never know when you might eat again....
7) don't wear socks and shoes when near water (poor JM!)

We miss everyone a ton, and will post as we go, for the time being we'll be in Ubud for about a week, perhaps longer... we plan to do some shopping, eating, and walking.... most of all relaxing for the last 2 weeks here.

Much Love
Shannon and Jean Michel

Advertisement



28th September 2008

socks???
Jean-Mich.... socks???? Near water??? Really!? Well I will keep those lessons in mind when traveling! Hope all keeps going good and that your eardrums survive the singing and peddling! Lot's of love, Danielle
28th September 2008

19 days mates!
29th September 2008

balance a yonder
oh Shan...I am sorry to hear about your ipod, jeans and various other belongings, I think maybe you need to get your inner ears checked..this balance thing is becoming a problem!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb