12 hours of travel to find... Heaven??!!!


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Gili Meno
September 21st 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well hello readers!

Lots to talk about today!

2 days ago we decided to set out in search of paradise ( Not that Bali isn't paradise... but we needed more beach!) So, we decided to purchase tickets to the Gili Isalnds off Lombok. After much research, and talking to locals in Ubud, we opted for the longer trip, as it was significantly cheaper. It was going to take us a good portion of the day, but we thought... 'we got nothing but time'
SOOooooo.... Off we go, starting at 7 a from our homestay in Ubud, we were picked up by a bus, which in turn took us to Padang Bai, which is just on the east coast of Bali about an hour out of Ubud. We were then instructed to sit there for about an hour and a half, while theyu got hte ferries organized.... Lots of backpackers were around, so we were sure we were in the right direction! Finally they asked us to go to the ferry dock, where we waited for another 30 minutes, while being hounded by peddlers.... finally time to get on the boat! It was a mad rush, but once inside, we quickly found a spot, with space for our bags (*note*- this ferry also caters to locals, so it's very busy and loud) after being seated for all of 2 minutes, the peddlers get on the ferry with us, and continue to try to force you to buy things, yound childer got up front, and started playing some hand bell insturment and they started singing horribly off key... As they got louder, so did the peddlers, and the asian tv music videos that were playing! INSANITY!!!! The children then walked around to collect tips!!! For the terrible singing, it was unreal! Finally after another hour of waiting, the ferry set off!!! It was a long slow ride, and they played terrible movies (for those that know shannon, Anaconda 2 was one of them!!! NOT COOL!) 4 hours later we seemed to arrive! Or so we thought 😞 Apparently the ferry port was to busy for us, so we ended up waiting on a ferry that went in circles for 2 hours more.....

The two hours passed quickly, as we made friends with some locals who spoke little english, but were taken with our beauty as we both posed for about 20 pictures with them! We felt like rockstars!!! Thankfully J.M.'s Indonesian was good enough to talk a little.....

Finally we get off the boat to be shuttled to another van, with 10 other people... of course while waiting for the driver, the peddlers had their goods in the windows asking if we wanted beer ( Which a common brand here is Bintang.... Lisa....) and water. Finally we're off... it was hot and we'd been 'on the road/ocean' for about 9 hours.... phewf! Suddenly we pull over to another stop!!! NOOOO we cry!!!

Once again we all get out, this is where we now need to get our other ticket to take the boat from Lombok to the Gili's.... more waiting.. ( another hour) we then pile back into the van, and set off for another 45 minute drive to the coast. We did however, notice the difference in religion, as it is mostly Muslim, and since they are currently celebrating/fasting for Ramadan, the mosques were at full capacity. Quite the sight, and difference from the temples in Bali.

Finally on the boat to the Gili's ( We are on the middle island Gili Meno) It was dark, we were tired, and neither of us had eaten much all day... We got off on what seemed to be a very rustic island, we quickly found a room, got a pizza, and went to bed.

We woke up in paradise!!! It is a tiny island of only 500 people, and it's beautiful! Bluest ocean we've seen, and no cars!!!! not one!! No dogs either, however the roosters continue to haunt us every day at 4 am. 😞

After meeting some great locals on the beach, we quickly found our groove, and have not looked back. Yesterday consisted mosty of lying around drinking Bintang, and chatting with the locals, we were shown a great small bar, on the one side of the island called Jungle bar, run by french guys, who live on top of the bar! GENIUS!! ( the island only takes about an hour and a half to walk around!) We were shown a small lake that is in the middle, and looks over the Bali mountains, and you can see the other two gili's from each side!

Today, after getting a good nights sleep, we rented snorkelling gear, and set off! WOW is probably the only word that can begin to explain the marine life! I (Shannon) swam with a turtle, which for those who know me, know that is a life dream!!! I was so excited, I tried to talk to him, but ended up with a mouthful of salt water instead! YUCK!! He was also very quick. J.M was extremely excited as well, and went out twice it was so cool!
We are now writing this ridiculously long blog, to catch everyone up! We are here until the 25th (although Im sure the locals want us to stay... we are totally cool...) then it's back to Ubud. We will post more soon, as the days continue... but at this point, it will be more snorkellig, more bintang, and more lying in paradise happy as could be!

Much love, (and missing all)
Jean-Michel and Shannon

Advertisement



21st September 2008

Wow. just wow.
21st September 2008

Turtles
Swimming with the turtlles, a drream come true!
22nd September 2008

Anaconda, NOT COOL
Oh Babe, ahaha it sounds like you are having such an amazing time I am jealous and a little afraid Australia won't be able to live up to your experiences so far. Supper jealous of the turtle and sorry to hear about the movie re: the legless creatures we do not speak of. love you x x x Hey JM, hope you're having a blast.
22nd September 2008

This story is too funny!!!
23rd September 2008

Living vicariously
Thanks for the great travel stories. It sounds like you are having a fantastic adventure. Your long trip to the little island sounded like the beginnings of a crazy dream. Hope that you continue to have loads of fun and safe travel. Keep those stories coming! Cheers, Colleen

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb