Ubud on the Upswing


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
July 8th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well I believe we left off on the morning of the rainy day. We spent much of that day, which proved to be much more than a passing am shower -in fact a twelve hour on/off downpoor- roaming the streets in search of some warmer layers (much more difficult than you make think- as a majority of the apparel is prudent to the typical climate and our selection of American 'hoodies' very much limlited to surfer/skater brands with unavoidable large print logos and some overpriced Polo suspect knockoffs) and taking advantage of the so few amounts of people on the streets. We tracked down a copy of this infamous Bali Pathfinder Map to use as a guide for the self-walking tour we took yesterday.

Yesterday (july 7) were enjoying our delicious morning breakfast of fresh fruit, banana pancakes (crepe like) and coffee (served to us daily right on our little porch) and in the midst of plannining our self-guided walk through the rice paddies when we were approached by a 'local' Balinese artist and his portable gallery of wares. Very friendly, gracious, and from a family of artists (his father, his brother...yada yada) he proceeded to open up his satchel and display a variety original pieces of traditional Balines style art, the profits of which consitute the livelyhood of his family. Impressed with the quality, detail, and obvious authencity of his work, Eric, introducing himself as a fellow artist, secured us a resonable deal on two small paintings which we now must ensure do not get wrecked in the next two weeks.

Sometime in the late morning we set out for our walk. With a quick stop for some bottled water and a sun hat for me we were on our way. Our journey began at the famed Monkey Forest (for which the main street in Central Ubud is named after, Jalan Wanara Wana or (Road) Monkey Forest. Monkey Forest is indeed exactly what its name implies. Ubud's best known tourist attraction, its a monkey sanctuary of over a hundred photogenic and at times very fiesty long-tailed monkeys. Someone's brilliant idea to buy bananas offered at the entrance to feed the little devils totally backfired and left us both dropping a good chunk of our bunch at one monkey just to avoid any further encircling of monkeys and the grabbing at my skirt. The babies were the most adorable, and we caught some great footage of a mom hording a banana from her baby because the baby couldn't get it open fast enough. To the baby's rescue came a girl (much smarter than us apparently) who peeled half of the banana first, thereby allowing the baby to get a head start. The moms holding the babies was quite a sweet sight.

We left the Monkey Forest and continued on our walk ultimatley bringing us along the outskits of town and able to observe the more traditonal comings and goings of Balinese people living along the rice paddies. In walking through the paddies we were immersed in the ultilmate of lush surroundings. The friendly hellos of the children and adults greeted us as did green green everywhere. Our hungry stomachs six miles in found us a lovely little cafe along the road- overlooking the paddies, where we had one of our best and cheapest meals yet. I had a delicous Nasi Goreng (fried rice with veggies), Eric had Nasi Bakmi (fried noodles with chicken) and we shared perhaps the best Lumpia (spring rolls). With pleasantly full tummies we finished that last mile and half back into town and returned to our homestay, Eric for a nap, and I for some reading by the pool. We both agree that this day was the best to date, the weather was perfect for a walk in the sun and the experience the most 'real' yet. In the evening we strolled along Jalan Hanoman, a street we had yet to enoucnter and seemingly more calm, yet hip with more upscale shops selling fine handmade Balinese wares. Unlike lunch, dinner was an unquestionaby western meal, as seeking out the alternative requires a sincere effort in central Ubud.

In is now late morning on July 8 and we are enjoying a relaxing a.m of reading and planning for the next leg (the potential climb of the volcano Ganung Anung in eastern Bali), blogging and relaxing before our late afternoon yoga class and following massage.

We're so excited to read and grateful for all of the comments. Keep 'em coming! And yes Alison I am in need of a job! We're about to wrap up here but I"m pretty sure I have a copy of my resume and a cov letter stored in an email that i can send to you. Antoinet- I was happy to get your email and know that you are following our travels, miss you much! Emmie- our 'bungalow' here in Ubud conjurs up feelings reminiscent of life in Pond and Tilli. Maddi and Courtney: hello from way over here! Mark- are you coming or not? Gia- the tranny was one of the ugliest i've ever seen.

til next time,
love,
us




Advertisement



8th July 2008

Dad and I are enjoying your journal! It's great having contact every day. Love the humor! You should definitely write a book after this trip. Be safe. Love you. Mom
8th July 2008

Fascinated as always
Great to be hearing from you so often. Your writing is enjoyable makes the adventures come to life. Happy all is now going smoothley. The daily massage sounds like heaven... Stay safe and enjoy. Love as Eric calls me "Mother"....
10th July 2008

Rubber floor and all?
i hope that the bungalow is without the mouse poo and shower that backs up:) but if not, at least you've had experience...hope the volcano has been spectacular...am looking foward to reading all about it soon because this and my 930 diet mt. dew are all that's getting me to lunch these days!

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb