Hello from Bali - Feb 4th


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
February 4th 2007
Published: February 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone;
Gosh, this blog has not worked out the way we had planned -- you'll have to wait until we return for photos, as it takes about 15 minutes to download ONE picture!

Had a fabulous day yesterday -- our cycling tour started at a coffee plantation, then breakfast at Mount Batur, the site of one of Bali's active volcanos. The view was spectacular from our restaurant. then we started cycling. It was billed as a gentle downhill ride for 2-1/2 hours, but we encountered some wicked hills toward the end!

We rode through miles of rice paddies in various stages of growth. Farmers knee-deep in mud planted the seedlings in some areas, whereas in other areas the mature rice was harvested and spread out over big sheets of canvas on village streets to dry. In some fields dozens of ducks took care of any unwanted insects or parasites. Incredible scenery, as the fields are laid out in terraces on the hillsides and you've never seen so many shades of green.

When we drove through the villages the young children would run out to greet us, yelling "hello!" and raising their hands for a "hi 5". Their parents always smiled and waved as well.

Lunch was served at the family compound of our guide, Wayan, and cooked by his lovely wife. Mode is a cooking instructor, and we had one of the best meals we've experienced in Bali (and believe us, there have been many!)

This morning we got up early and went to the Ubud village market. The smells, the sights of cooked pork in baskets out in the open along with rice, every conceivable type of fruit, and colourful baskets of flower petals for offerings made for a truly multi-sensory experience. We've just about completed our retail therapy now -- haggling for prices of sarongs and spices has been a lot of fun. We are both very glad we packed an extra bag to bring back all our purchases!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb