Bali


Advertisement
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Sanur
December 2nd 2015
Published: December 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

On November 26 we woke at 4:10AM excited to be off for a hot break to Sanur, Bali. KAS celebrates American Thanksgiving so there was no school on Thursday and Friday. Everyone gets a 4 day weekend. It was 19.4C with a wind, what a shock as this is the first time we have seen the thermometer under 20! We closed the windows and headed for the airport. We had downloaded the mobile check-in app to ch... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Artisans at WorkArtisans at Work
Artisans at Work

The figurines are created in both black and white sandstone and some are painted. They come in all sizes from tiny to larger than life!
Traditional Balinese HomeTraditional Balinese Home
Traditional Balinese Home

Aryana, our guide, brought us to this old traditional Balinese home. Generations lived together in a compound.
Cooking HouseCooking House
Cooking House

There were people living here, so the fire was burning in the cooking house. Adults slept in huts and their sons and daughter-in laws slept in separate dwellings. When the daughters were of age, they would marry and move to their husbands compound.
Our Personal Guide AryanaOur Personal Guide Aryana
Our Personal Guide Aryana

Aryana was driving the taxi we took us from the airport to Sanur, a 45 minute drive. After reserving with him on the trip, we decided to hire him for all day Saturday.
Pura Samuan TigaPura Samuan Tiga
Pura Samuan Tiga

Samuan Tiga Temple is strategically located set back a little from the main road between Ubud and Tampaksiring. This sacred temple was the royal temple of the Udayana Warmadewa dynasty (a Balinese King who ruled in the 10th century).
Aryana and LindaAryana and Linda
Aryana and Linda

Samuan Tiga means three (tiga) meetings (samuan) and the temple is assumed to be the venue for the great meeting between Gods, deities and saints.
How Does Maurice Look in Purple?How Does Maurice Look in Purple?
How Does Maurice Look in Purple?

Knees must be covered when entering temples. They hand out saris to all visitors who require additional cover.
Cock FightsCock Fights
Cock Fights

We could hear cheering while at the temple. Aryana informed us there was a cock fight arena next door. We just had to go and check it out.
Riling Them UpRiling Them Up
Riling Them Up

After going through quite a selection process, they finally chose the roosters that would be fighting for the next 2 rounds.
The Betting Is On!The Betting Is On!
The Betting Is On!

The crowd noise spiked considerably as the betting started and money changed hands.
Ready For ActionReady For Action
Ready For Action

Neither fight took long, the first ended within a minute with one rooster definitely the winner. In the second, one rooster was injured within 30 seconds, and after that he wanted no part of the fight. After a couple of attempts where he kept running away, the other was declared the winner.
Wood CarvingWood Carving
Wood Carving

Ubud is known for its craftsmen. Here at the wood carving factory, workers are carving all types of figurines and sculptures out of beautiful crocodile wood, hibiscus, mahogany and teak.
Table TopsTable Tops
Table Tops

These huge pieces would be suitable for large tables and boardrooms. They had a few set up for display in their huge 2 story showroom.
Rice Terraces of UbudRice Terraces of Ubud
Rice Terraces of Ubud

Aryana took us past Ubud to this restaurant perched on the edge of the highway. The view was simply stunning!
Talk About Picture Perfect!Talk About Picture Perfect!
Talk About Picture Perfect!

We enjoyed this view while dining in the large outdoor restaurant.
Linda and the CivetsLinda and the Civets
Linda and the Civets

Kopi luwak or civet coffee, refers to the coffee that is made from part-digested coffee cherries, eaten and then defecated by the Asian civet. Some of this farms' civets were in cages while most others live wild. Civets do not breed in captivity.
Explaining the ProcessExplaining the Process
Explaining the Process

They showed us how they gather the beans, roast them, and grind them into different textures. They also blend in different flavours such as vanilla or chocolate and other spices.
Taste TestingTaste Testing
Taste Testing

They offered us different flavours of coffee and a few different teas to taste, but we had to pay for a cup of the luwak.
Viewing PlatformsViewing Platforms
Viewing Platforms

The plantation overlooked a valley that had rice terraces on the other side. Fantastic scenery!
The ViewThe View
The View

Aryana served as our photographer. He has obviously done this before.
Amazing ColoursAmazing Colours
Amazing Colours

We were surprised to see all the colours displayed by nature.



5th December 2015

Bali
What a great blog you guys! We were really interested to read about your adventure in Bali since we were there in 2014. We recognized many of your pictures. You guys really get around!
12th December 2015

Trying to Keep Up!
We get around? Seems like everywhere we've been, you've been there too.

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb