Surfing Dudes


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Kuta
June 17th 1989
Published: August 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Party TimeParty TimeParty Time

Enjoying the clubs in Kuta on our last night
For our last day on Bali it was almost compulsory that we got ourselves down to the beach for some serious surfing. Some success, but there was an awful long way to go before any of us could call ourselves surfers.

The flight was at some god-awful time of the morning again, so we were not planning on going to sleep that night. We thought we would make it a late night so we hit the bars and then a club. There was this one bar called SC's that was particularly popular. They had a bizarre promotion in that you got a free SC's tee shirt when you had downed a certain number of beers. Mike and Alan were going for it and were soon the proud owners of brand new tee shirts. Later when we got to Australia it was surprising how often you saw people proudly wearing these tee shirts. The problem was that most other Australians knew it simply meant that you were a drunken slob and we I often heard comments along the lines of "So your idea of a holiday is getting pissed every night is it?"

Kuta was a good opportunity to meet and get to know the Australians. Although we found them a bit brash and forward at first, you soon got into the same frame of mind and eventually began to find the British reserved and unsociable. Back in London, after the year was over, I actually spoke to someone on the tube. I couldn't help it, it just happened as it was perfectly normal behaviour in Australia. As you can imagine everyone in the carriage glared at me as if I was some kind of nutcase and I had to get off at the next station, holding my head in shame.

Later we went to a club that, as you would expect in a place like Kuta, was a complete pulling joint. Andy actually pulled and, as the rest of us were packing our backpacks ready to catch our flight, we had to wait until he eventually chucked her out and packed his bag ready for when our taxi arrived.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb