End of Asia!


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Kuta
February 12th 2008
Published: February 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

frangipanis..frangipanis..frangipanis..

..they are everywhere.
Hello,

Who would have guessed that out of all of the airports we have been to, that bali would be the first one to really test us! We arrived after a late but short flight, and we had arranged a pick up from the hotel that we were staying at, so it would be waiting for us when we arrived. But we really couldn't believe how long it took us to get through customs and passport control. First, we joined one queue not realising we were in the wrong one because we had to buy a visa so we asked where we should get that from as there were so many queues. We got told to go to another riduculously long line of people, here we waited and waited barely moving, until a guy from another booth shouted us over to him. 'You buy your visas here', 'well ok then'.

So that took 2 seconds and we asked where we had to go then, he pointed us in the direction of the queue we had been in right at the beginning, we assumed he was right although they had told us 'not through here' before! And as expected, we
Bintang..Bintang..Bintang..

Bali's local beer.
got told the same again after waiting for ages in the queue. 'Ok then where the hell are we supposed to go then?!' I asked after queing for a total of over an hour so far. He pointed to the queue we had come from previously. Great, start the queue again! Wer got talking to another couple who were as irate as us, and they had been to Bali loads, but apparently every year the system changes.

Finally we were queueing in the right place and finally got through after almost 2 hours. It was now 2am and our driver had gone. So we rung the hotel for him to come back. Eventually we made it to bed. The hotel rooms were big and modern, so that was nice to come too at least. After a tiring night we got woken by building work on the floor below us at stupid o'clock in the morning! That was my first complaint, never wake the beast, she will not be happy(rob learnt this right at the beginning)! We were told it woukld be going on all week and i decided this just wouldn't do. This was an official holiday at the
chillaxing in the room..chillaxing in the room..chillaxing in the room..

..rob the book worm!
half way mark for us to relax before the second leg. I kicked up so much that we got moved to a much nicer resort across the road, no more money to pay either. I decided it was definatley worth having a moan!

With the first hotel we got given cards for a complimentary foot massage so we booked in. It was fantastic, an hour free foot massage! Unfortunately the weather, bar one day of brilliant sunshine, was absolutely terrible. With rain and winds that we thought were almost the level of a hurricane. Scary!! This did limit us alot though as it was no fun walking around in the wind and rain. Also, the size of some of the pavements were ridiculous, you risked your life everytime you went out, you were better off walking in the road!! Also, the amount you got beeped at by taxis just walking down the road got very irritating, it really brought out the anger in you at times to just say 'no we don't want a friggin taxi we can walk across the road!'. There was actually more taxis than cars literally every couple of seconds there was a taxi, but we were in Kuta which is renowned for being a bit hectic!

On the plus side, we had an awesome week of chillaxing and enjoying the benefits of room service at no extra cost to the already dirt cheap menu! We could see it was an aussie favourite because they were evrywhere, but to be honest we weren't as impressed as we thought we were going to be with Bali. Quite a disapointing end to Asia, but was still enjoyable enough for a week.

so untill next time..party on dudes!

Rob and Han
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

There always seemed to be traffic jams..There always seemed to be traffic jams..
There always seemed to be traffic jams..

..and the streets are pretty small.
horse and carts were everywhere too..horse and carts were everywhere too..
horse and carts were everywhere too..

..we weren't that impressed with the area.
Bubba Gump restaurant..Bubba Gump restaurant..
Bubba Gump restaurant..

..forest gump lookalike!
The death pavements..The death pavements..
The death pavements..

..the holes were huge in some places!
The beach by poppies lane..The beach by poppies lane..
The beach by poppies lane..

..it was so windy we got covered in sand!
High waves!High waves!
High waves!

cool for surfers although think the current may be alittle strong!
The beach..The beach..
The beach..

..these people were mad, we got literally whipped by the sand just standing here..it really hurt!
Another bit of Kuta..Another bit of Kuta..
Another bit of Kuta..

..the blue cars are the stupid taxis! (look how dark the sky is!)
Another fantastic bit of pavement..Another fantastic bit of pavement..
Another fantastic bit of pavement..

..seriously if you walked home drunk you would get a broken leg!
entrance to the spa at our hotel..entrance to the spa at our hotel..
entrance to the spa at our hotel..

..it always had fresh flower decorations everywhere.
statue at the hotel..statue at the hotel..
statue at the hotel..

..the glass behind was the spa and normally had water running down it,looked cool.
the pool..the pool..
the pool..

..the elephants were fountains.
fountain in the pool..fountain in the pool..
fountain in the pool..

..unfortunately because of the weather we didn't get in the pool as much as we would have liked.
unusual statue choice!unusual statue choice!
unusual statue choice!

they were just fountains though!
the front of our apartment..the front of our apartment..
the front of our apartment..

it was nice, but would have been better if the weather was!
frangipanis from the trees..frangipanis from the trees..
frangipanis from the trees..

..the hotel was surrounded by them.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb