Surfers Paradise


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Kuta
December 9th 2007
Published: December 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Photo 1Photo 1Photo 1

Jen and Gerad who we had met in Koh Samui and bumped into by our hotel
Dear All,

So we finished in Singapore and headed on one of our shortest flights across to the small island of Bali...known to many as Surfers Paradise, and the honeymooners hot spot.

We arrived late on the 1st December and booked straight into the hotel and hit the sack! These flights really take it out of you!

Next day we woke up to have a wonder down to the beach and see what all the fuss was about, it took us nearly 3 hours to actually get to these golden sands, when they are only 300m away...reason? Shopping, perhaps the cheapest place we have been so far, and when you get bartering you can suggest any price walk away and they run down the street after you!

Its soo good i think Sarah-Jane is on her 13th dress purchase already! I have actually managed to find something that fits (thai sizes are soo small) and started to buy up my very own one man band musical instruments, i currently sound like a walking tambourine!

The island is really beautiful, we are staying in Kuta most of the time which is where its all happening, feeling quite old as there are loads of young australian school holidayers, but none the less we have found a nice trendy bar to whisk away the nights over pretty cocktails.

Headed out to Sunur and Ubud, wher we watched two versions of tradtional balinese dances, amazing! At one point a guy with a horse styled out of wood and bamboo, lit coconut shells afire and danced over them kicking them around, it was spectacular! We went to a monkey sancutury which was meant to be sacred but the amount of monkeys 'in season' meant it was more seedy than sacred!! haha. We also met a lovely guy who found us a hotel in Ubud he was a local called Yoman! Him and his brother drove us all the way up to nearing the top of the island and showed us, a beautiful view over the rice paddies, you could see the ocean and it wasnt a typical tourist hot spot, so we were very lucky to get the experience. Went on to see the oldest temple in Bali -350 years old and the engraving were so intricate it was crazy to think it has been created by hand and stone.
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

Lou and Benji who showed us around
After that we visited one of the still active volcanoes, as we had lunch and overlooked the horizon with the Volcanoe and open lake it truely was one of the most spectacular sights i have seen so far, from this we were led down to the natural hot water springs. This was a little dissapointing as a local hotel had sucked all the natural resources out and when we got there there was only a trickle into the river...was quite funny, and sarah-jane and i had to cover our eyes, as a local man was bathing in it, and he didnt have a stitch on! Mind you it was boiling hot when we dipped our feet in.

Which brings me to today, in which we have been shopping again, we have found a great place to get bagels with pesto and feta for lunches - somethings we have been craving!

The rest of the time i think we are gogint to dedicate to tanning, but we may head on down to the lowest tip of the island as the beaches there are meant to be the best, and its always worth a look around with the locals!
Photo 4Photo 4Photo 4

On our way to Ubud

Signing out for today, Kellie and Sarah-Jane.

ps massive love and kisses to everyone...we really do miss you all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Photo 17Photo 17
Photo 17

Kell and her new pals
Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

In the monkey sanctury
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

The fire the crazy man danced on!
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

View from our hotel
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

Rice Paddys - amazing views
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

Yoman - our guide for the day
Photo 18Photo 18
Photo 18

At the temple in our sarongs
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

Up the mountin overlooking the volcano
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

Hot Springs stolen water!!
Photo 14Photo 14
Photo 14

Sunrise at Sinur


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb