India - Amritsar back to Delhi by train


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
January 18th 2011
Published: January 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


DAY 10 18th January 2011
We had a free day today and as the hotel is about 15 minutes from the centre of Amritsar, and also in the middle of no-where, we were undecided what to do. Chris wanted to get a taxi into the centre and have a free meal at the Golden temple ( I told you he was getting tight in his old age!!!) or have a 3hr trip to the oldest Sikh temple in Amritsar which Services International had offered us the day before at a cost of £20.00 each (rejected of course!!!)
We asked at the hotel but they only ran trips for 6hrs at a cost of 1400 rupees (about £15.00) but we didn’t really want a 6 hr trip! In the end we decided to just chill out, enjoy the luxury room until 12.00, internet for an hour (50 rupees!) lunch and sit in the sun on the roof terrace until the taxi came at 15.45.
Train was at platform and our seats were very easy to find ( even though we had a guide to take us from the hotel and ‘help’ us board the train!!) and we set off at 17.00 on the dot! We didn’t realise that drinks and food were included on journey so were quite surprised when they brought a free litre bottle of water each, then a tray with snacks – little cake, spicy nuts, 2 sweets – then came tea or coffee. Hour or so later came an energy mango drink and then after that we had soup and a roll, followed by 2 indian dishes with rice and a roll of about 4 rotis and a yoghurt. Then a tub of ice cream!! Amazing!!
The journey passed very quickly, probably because we had food or drink every 45mins, and we also had a beautiful sunset. One thing we have noticed quite a lot is the number of children that fly kites......in every village you see at least 10 kites and some of the trees are littered with crashed kites. Apparently there is one day in the year when all the shops shut and everyone flies kites!!
Anyway, we reached Delhi 23.05 exactly on time and were met by a guy who took us to the taxi and drove us back to Dreamland Hotel where we were warmly welcomed back by the staff especially the little guy who supplied us with food on the first night! I think he had stayed up hoping we would order another meal!!! Caught up with blog whilst it was free wifi and bed by 01.00 – car coming at 08.30 tomorrow so alarm set!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Hindu Wedding Hindu Wedding
Hindu Wedding

Pic just for you laura!!


20th January 2011

Lazing!
Sounds like a well deserved lazy day and a good train journey. Liked the indian wedding pic - thanks! Is Daisy now suffering from Dehli Belly??!!!
21st January 2011

loving the handbag!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb