Chennai to Kolkata


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
March 25th 2008
Published: March 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After an early start and missing breakfast we hopped into a single rickshaw, (getting good at it now!) and pointed the driver towards the station. At the station we clambered onto the train after some chai and settled in for the depressingly long journey, 27 hours in all!! No problems though because we had bought 2 A/c tickets which means that instead of 8 bunks in the compartment there are only 6, the bunks are longer and wider and it may be just my imagination but the A/c felt just a touch colder. You do pay for luxury though! The train left at 8.45 in the morning and for the next 12 hours we were bombarded by tea, coffee and biscuit sellers. They prowl the corridor shouting their little chants and god help you if you inadvertently say a number or the word yes as they pass. Playing cards i said i wanted 2 tricks just as a tea seller passed, he had almost finished pouring the first one by the time i noticed him and went about explaining i didn't want any tea, thankyou and i was just playing a card game!

The day passed fast enough and we watched a great sunset from the train! Night time was a lot quieter and we all managed a good bit of sleep!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0846s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb