Arriving in Kolkata


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
March 26th 2008
Published: March 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

27 hours on an air conditioned train means stepping back out into the indian humidity is not fun. Less fun for Ollie and especially Mark, as they are carrying the weight of a small house on their backs! Luckily, although Kolkata train station seemed seriously big, we had befriended an indian couple who shared our berths. Whether they knew it or not, they led us toward the Taxi stand, where we knew they were headed. Very handy.
There was slight confusion, as we had decided to opt of the 'pre-paid' stand (only slightly less chance of being ripped off); however at this one, you paid for your destination in a specific car. Finding your taxi number, from lines of yellow taxi's, while fighting through the hurds of people isn't easy nor fun. We did eventually find the car, and were on our way to the travellers mecca of Sudder st.

As we were now more accustomed to the top end of India (staying in Richards house, drinking in the Sheraton), Mark and I (Dale) made the executive decision to opt for a mid-range hotel as oposed to our strict regime of staying in 'budgets'. It worked out fine.
Chennai to KolkataChennai to KolkataChennai to Kolkata

Ollie relaxes on his bed!
The hotel Galaxy is good but still cheap.
That night we decided to go for a nice meal on 'park st', described as the soho of india, and enjoyed a great meal and beers in 'bar b que' which was preceeded by coffees at 'Barista' on my request 😊 and proceeded by more beers at the 'someplace else' bar where the bible promised live music, but unfortunately nothing had materialised.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb