volunteering and Kolkata


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
March 19th 2007
Published: March 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Flower marketFlower marketFlower market

a man selling flowers in the flower market
I arrived in Kolkata on Holi. The colour festival of India where people have massive water flights and paint each other brilliant reds, greens and yellows. Too add to the spectical of brightly coloured people I was also welcomed on trhe train by a transvestite singing and dancing. She came down the carrage clapping and singing as loud as she could and asked for a donation, I didnt have much change left so I said "no, sorry" but that was greeted with a sharp 'talk to the hand' gesture, I found a couple of rupee in my pocket and gave it to her. It must have beenthe right thing to do becuase she tapped me on the chin and forehead in approval ajnd moved on.

I found my way to Sudder street and got a bed in the dorm room at Salvation army where almost every person you meet is doing volunteer work with mother Terasers' mission. Some had been there for years, others for a week or month. After talking to some of the volunteers I decided to do some work in Shanti-Dan, a home for women that are mentally ill.

I start the day at 6.30am and
Flower marketFlower marketFlower market

flowers for sale
hed to breakfast at the mother house(volunteers get a free brakfast of plain bread,bananas and tea). Then take the bus to the centre. First thing to do at the centre is to find who has the key for the bag and resouce (this is the doctors room on Tuesdays) Finding the key can take any time from 10 minutes to 1 hour. You get pointed in all directions while everyone asks you for nail polish or a bindi (these are favourite activities). The women have their chores and jobs they need to do everyday which they sometmes ask you to help with. Such as washing, making beds getting water for food or tea. You can help with these jobs or choose an activity such as painting nails, drawing, dancing or just sit with the women. There are also 4 children that are HIV-pos and are looked after by some of the women and volunteers.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

family in kolkatafamily in kolkata
family in kolkata

I talked to this family on holi...
family in kolkatafamily in kolkata
family in kolkata

happy family on the streets on kolkata


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb