DELHI-HARIDWAR-RISHIKESH


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
September 5th 2009
Published: September 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Good Day

Following on our journey from Delhi, we arrived at Haridhwar at 1600 hours about 8.5 hours by car. On arrival we checked in at the Sun Hotel about half a kilometre from the River Ganges. Haridhwar is at the base of the Shiwalk hills is a town of temples,ghats and ashrams.Its location at the point where the Ganges leaves the Himalayas to begin its journey across the plains, makes it a particularly holy place. Every 12 years the kumbh festival attracts millions of pilgrims who come and bathe in the river.

Our purpose for this trip was to participate in the Ganga Arthi on the river Ganges which is performed every day in the evening about 19h00 in front of thousands of devotees and tourist. We left our hotel at 18h00 hours and assebled on the banks of the river witnessing a myriad of clay lamps adorning the river. A spectacular site on the river and the singing of the Ganga Arthi by everyone was itself self enriching to the mind and soul. It appears that for three hundred and sixthy five days in the year the Ganga Arthi is sung and clay lamps adorn the river worshing Mother Ganga, a holy river for the Hindus.

On Saturday, we woke up early for our trip to Rishikesh about 7 Kilometres from Haridwar to carry out our prayers to our ancestors better known as Pitar Pash. The day before we had arranged with our Priest to meet with us on the banks of the Ganges in Rishikesh to perform the prayer. The Priest completed the prayer about 08h00 hours to our satisfaction. Both myself and my wife were very pleased in the manner that the prayer was conducted.

We thereafter proceeded to the Sivnanda Ashram the head quarters of the Divine Life Society. The place is a tranquality of peace and we participated in the bhagans that was sung and paid our homage to the great saint sivananda who established the ashram for all mankind. We felt blessed by this great soul.

We therafter walked on the suspension bridge known as Lutchman Jhula across the river Ganges to the western bank. Here are several temples and places of prayer. There are numerous stall selling all types of goods from religious to clothing and artefacts from the himalayas etc. You will never go hungry in both Haridwar and Rishikesh as there are numerous restaurants serving vegetarian dishes. In these towns no meat are served but strictly vegetarian delicacies.

Rishikesh represents the gateway to the Himalays in the Tehri Garthwel region of Uttarahand(Uttaranchal) The spectacle of the Ganges rushing through the Himalayan foothill is an awesome sight.

Thats for now

Rishi and Geetha

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb