THE KATHMANDU EXPERIENCE


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamal
September 8th 2009
Published: September 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Good Day

We arrived in Delhi from Haridhwar at 12pm. After visiting Karol Bagh we retired to our hotel for the next leg of our travel.

We had to get up early at 2.30am on Monday morning to get ready to be at the airport by 4.35am to catch our plane to Nepal which is an hour away from Delhi. We arrived at Kathmandu at 9.55am on a rainy morning and after clearing customs, visa and health check we were met at the airport by our travel agent who garlanded and ensured that all our luggage was taken care of for onward journey to the Marshyangadi Hotel. After freshning up and a quick nap we were on the road again.

We are visiting two STOTAS today (Buddhist Temple)

SOWYAMBUNATH (ALSO KNOWN AS THE MONKEY TEMPLE)

This world renowned and UNESCO recoginised World Heritage Site is situated on a hilltop over looking the valley. To get to the top one has to climb about 1000 steps. We were lucky that our guide was able to drive up to halfway and only had to negotiate +-500 steps to the top.

The temple itself has a large solid concrete like dome and in the middle has eyes and thereafter 13 brass steps leads to the top. Legend has it that the eyes keeps an eye on the world and the 13 brass steps leads to heaven to gain Nirvana or Moksha in the Buddhist and Hindi dialect.

Around the domes are small spinning brass wheels to be spun by any visitor or devotee in a clockwise movement which symbolises that of life going forward for prosperity.

BOULDDHANATH TEMPLE

This is the largest of the STOKAS in the world and is also declared a UNESCO heritage site and is protected.

This is similiar to the above temple and situated on ground level about a kilometre from the above. This is situated in a ancient square around which are ancient shops and villages. Large spinning wheels are around the dome. Legend has it that inside the solid concrete domes are mini Buddha statutes and therefore nobody is allowed to walk on the domes.

It is an experience worth all the money in the world and is something to look forward to.


Today Tuesday, we proceeded to the Hanuman Dhoka (Durbar Square) built between 12th and the 18th century, this complex of palaces, courtyards and temples is the historic seat of royalty. It used to be the seat of ancient Malla Kings of Kathmandu. The Durbar Square is protected UNESCO world heritage site, epitomises the religious and cultural life of the people. The interesting things we seen here are Taleju Temple,Kal Bhairaiv, the god of destruction Nautalle Darbar,Coronation Nasal Chowk, Gaddi Baithak, the statute of King Pratap Malla, the big bell, big drum, the Jagnath Temple. We had an audition with the only living Godddess Kumari situated in the vicinity of Hanuman Dhoka. This itself was an amazing experience -imagine have an audience with a living goddess-Unbelievable in this day and age.

The Kashthamandap Temple located near the temple of Kumari from which the city of Kathmandu derives its name. This is all for now.

We will be visiting Patan City tomorow and keep u updated of our travels.

Regards Geetha and Rishi









Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb