RAIN!!!! and a hilarious time in traditional dress....


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Mussoorie
January 26th 2007
Published: February 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The other gaps and Nats and I headed off to Mussoorie one weekend to see the surrounding area. Mussoorie is a hill town, nestled high above Dehra Dun commandig spectacular views of Dehra and also of the Himalayas, mussoorie had been on our "to do" list since we had arrived....especially as it is only an hour away.

A short walk and a battered and bumpy bus rescued me and nats from the side of the road. We had been trying to avoid watching the corpse of a dog that had been run over, which was being gradually dismantled by a large crow ripping strips of meat and flying off with the offending artical dangling precariously from it beak. Monkeys were inspecting the body and another dog was trying to fend off attackers and all the while cars, buses. motorcycles etc... would hurtle round the bend at breakneck speed. so fast that surely one of the other animals would also fall victim but thankfully not. Anyway, so a bit of a distraction sorry. We got on the bus groggy from sleep and revolted at what we had just witnessed.

We paid 40p for the hour long bus ride and set off through the mountains on windy windy roads with sheer drops, narrow roads, curves every few seconds and weird signs everywhere that sad, "plant a tree." "tree's are life." and the like....

Once reaching Mussoorie and meeting up with the girls it was clear that it was not the best day to visit. We walked through the main bzaar and got two cycle rickshaws to the tibetan market and the main attraction the cable car. We went up this nervous at all the ominous creaking but we made it to the tgop and had some chai. Mussorie could be made out below but the Himalayas were nowhere to be seen. Later just as we were about to go down Nats pointed out a sign that said dress in traditional Uttaranchal dress. Immediately i refused and said there was no way they would ever get me wearing that........5 minutes later dressed in a long red velvety skirt wraparound top and silver headgear with heart that hung around ny face i had to admit it was pretty hilarious.

we all got dressed and took soooooo many pictures and it was such a touristy thing to do but absolutely classic!!!! the weird thing was that other people lso took pictures of us....with their own cameras...weird. anyway we had a fntastic time despite the weather. As we reached the botton it started to rain and we fled for the shelter of the bus station. As we descended down the windy roads me with my camera constantly out the window capturing the view, nats and emma were very quiet. As we got back to the house and rubbed nats and emmas back as they puked we reflected that it probably wasnt best to go from 2000 feet to 6000 feet in 40 mins..........😊 no lasting harm done though and we're planning to go back soon to see the Himilayas properly!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb