The new arrival........


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Dehradun
February 6th 2007
Published: February 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

John Martyn is gorgeous, frustrating,daunting, tiring, enlightening and satisfying all at the same time. The school so beautifully compact and quaint. The Main gate opens and a barren square of earth where the children have assembly lies before a raised platform. Every morning the children line up in lines of boy/ girl rows, two for each class, in height order, standing an arms width apart. They then bring out (i don't know what it is called) a mini- piano which must be used with bellows at the same time like an accordian. anyway they then close their eyes and put there hands together and recite a prayer in hindi. Then they7 stand at ease and then stand to attention ad then recite a pledge (again in hindi so i have no idea what about!) and then.....the national anthem then Mrs. Sood annouces any notices and clases begin.

The children are 4 - 13 and are all so polite nd good natured. It is a very small school and therefore there are not many children the biggest class sizes being mine. (they would be) I am assigned to class 1 and 2, 6 - 9 year olds. and there are about 24 in a class. and i've learnt all their names (I'm so proud!) I mostly make them worksheets, play with them, tke classes when they need me and make things for the walls etc...and although sometimes not kowing hindi is a drawback it also mean that they HAVE to talk to me in englis and so everyone makes an effort.

I gave out stars on the last test for those who got full marks and now i can't go anywhere or mark anything without, "didi...star..." said pleadingly at my face. Didi mean older sister and it is what we are all called here. Katie didi, Nathalie didi and Titi didi.

Titi is short for Christina. She's the new volunteer living with us and is great. fitnees freak, self sufficient and a good sense of humour we all have fun! We are all bookworms and have been racing through novels currently, titi's on Moby Dick, Nats on Emma by Jane Austen and I'm on Le Grande Mealnes by Alain Fournier (a classic i have been dying to read since forever!)

Anyway we have all been living together for a ouple of weeks now and still haven't progressed from noodles and soup, toast, toast, toast and the occasional tin of baked beans. This experience has really taught me one thing. Catered accomodation at uni!!!!!!

bye for now - love to all xxxxxxxxx






Advertisement



10th February 2007

welcome to the real world!
Since i spoke to you on the phone I realise that you are only just beginning to learn what it is like to live without your family around you,not for the emotional support so much as the cooking,shopping cleaning aspect!!!!! It's great experience though and ont that you will look back on fondly i'm sure.Once you have all read each others books let me know and i'll send you some more,you could leave the old ones to the school for an english library maybe.You may feel that there is not much to write about now you are working but believe me everyone i speak to is following your whole trip avivdly,We really enjoy your descriptions,we are dying to see photos.blog again soon love Mumxxx
13th February 2007

Hi from us
It's been wonderful reading your blog - i could imagine being there for all the exciting bits but i rather skipped over the delly belly and spider bits - i wonder why!!??? Take care Katie have a whale of a time. love t x

Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb