Varanasi, India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Varanasi
June 14th 2009
Published: July 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Took a short flight to Varanasi, the sacred city of the Hindus aka city of light, and so far, I think it's one of my favorite places in India. Manageable and less crowded albeit that it's Sunday and there's not much traffic on Sundays.

After we settled into our hotel and rested a little, we headed out to the Ganges River to take a boat ride. Ghats of Ganga are perhaps the holiest spots of Varanasi. The Ganga Ghats at Varanasi are full of pilgrims who flock to the place to take a dip in the holy Ganges river, for their daily ritual ablutions which is believed to absolve one from all sins and also the dead are sent from all over India to be cremated there.

Manikarnika Ghat, the biggest and most famous cremation ground. The burning bodies on open fires are for the rich which costs around 3000 rupees about 63 usd and the poor can get cremated in electric fires for about 700 rupees which is about 15 usd. People who cannot get cremated are babies, pregnant women, sadhus - highly religious people who renunciates (who have left behind all material and sexual attachments and live in caves, forests and temples all over India), and victims of copra bites. We're not allowed to take pictures of burning bodies otherwise the families can harass you to pay up to 700 rupees but our zoom on our camera didn't cause any suspicions.

We enjoyed walking around the streets in the morning and night bc we saw how locals live up close. Definitely would have liked to do more of that before we left.

At night we saw the candle light ceremony. Half an hour of people chanting and people moving candle lights in a circular motion was a little too long for me so we left before it ended. Also the bats flying all over our heads to feast on bugs wasn't helpful. The bats were still flying around everywhere when we got there the next morning at 4:30am.

All in all, I think this was a great ending to our month long India trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

44
4

Light ceremony
66
6

Fishing
88
8

Locals doing their laundry
1010
10

Bats flying around.
1111
11

A tourist who was about to go in but later changed her mind... maybe something the women said to her or what she saw in the water.
1717
17

Oh crap...
1818
18

Ok, that's just gross!
1919
19

I don't know what that was but the eyes look like they were lit.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb