Agra & New Delhi, India - Taj Mahal


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
June 11th 2009
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Photo 1Photo 1Photo 1

Fatepurh Sikri
June 11
On our way to Agra, we stopped by Fatephur Sikri, (which is a palace and a mosque) during a sandstorm. Sand and dirt blowing up into our faces and mouth, not very pleasant. Maybe it was the long car drive but we were feeling miserable and was not in the mood to be harassed by taxis, tuk tuks and "tour guides" but this little precocious boy of 15 was not aggressive and for some reason, we both found him charming. We agreed to pay for his companionship since we didn't need a tour of the place and quickly realized how smart he was. He speaks 5 languages and just recently finished his studies at the school in the mosque and now looking for work. It's awful to see so many children in India need to work.

June 12
Today we saw Agra Fort, Itmad Ud Daulah's Tomb or aka Baby or Mini Taj in Agra and saw the back of Taj Mahal. Mosques are closed to public on Fridays so we only saw the back of it but planning to go early in the tomorrow morning.

June 13
Woke up early to get to Taj Mahal at
Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Fatepurh Sikri
5:30AM... I was surprised to see only 6 others there when I thought it would be crowded. Wow, pretty amazing close up. We thought we would be disappointed w/ all the hype we have been hearing but when we got there, it was truly grand. I think I was mostly surprised by how big Taj Mahal was. Too bad the weather was very hazy bc that's part of the reason why we woke up early to take sunrise pictures and also to avoid the huge crowds... not to mention, to avoid the heat as well. I was really excited to sit where Princess Di sat.... although someone didn't take the picture exactly the way I wanted but I guess from the waist up is better than the neck up... Thanks Nick!

By 6:30AM many tourists are arriving as we are heading back to the hotel to have our breakfast *yawn*.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Photo 3Photo 3
Photo 3

Fatepurh Sikri
Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

Mini Taj (front)
Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

Mini Taj (back)
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

Taj Mahal in Agra
Photo 3Photo 3
Photo 3

Taj Mahal in Agra
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

Taj Mahal in Agra
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

Taj Mahal in Agra
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

It's about 6:30am and look how many people are coming in to see Taj Mahal while we are on our way back to our hotel for breakfast.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb