Varanasi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Varanasi
December 5th 2008
Published: December 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We only had one day here before we flew to Kathmandu so we decided to do the really touristy thing of taking a 1 day all in tour from dawn till dusk! It was actually really fun! We started off with a dawn boat ride on the ganges which is horribly polluted but we did see a dolphin, it was alive, not a plastic model!! We got to see people swimming and washing and generally life there as well as the funeral fires! We then took a walk through the narrow streets to a hindu temple and mosque conveniently built on the same spot so the security is so tight you can't go in and they keep fighting and blowing each other up, it does have a lovely gold roof though!! You can't take a camera near so you have to entrust it to a silk shop owner who was none to happy when we wouldnt buy silk and told us to get out of his shop, how rude!!!

After brekkie we took a ride out to the birthplace of Budhism to a temple and stuppas etc which was really nice as well as a cool museum with the original ashok pillar the emblem of India in it!!

In the evening we watched the prayers on the ghats before heading back to the hotel to pack for Nepal!!

We took a plane from Varanasi to Kathamndu. Never visit Varanasi airport unless you have to!! It took more than 3 hours to check in 1 flight, utter chaos!!! Its probably quicker to walk!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb